Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should we reward kids for good grades

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think children should get a reward for good grades or should they be expected to get good grades in school?  If you give a child a reward one time for getting good grades, do they expect a reward every time? 

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR CHILD ABUSE!simple frown

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
.ChiMama.
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM
I always acknowledge it and make sure grandparents know if she's on the A B honor roll. If she gets straight A's like I know she can then she gets rewarded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reche1978
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I will, probably not money maybe they will get there favorite dessert or grab dinner from there favorite restuarant/cook favorite food.  Im all about rewarding my girls when they do well and repremanding them when they do bad

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I dont' see the harm in rewarding them for a good job.  When we were in jr/sr high school, my mom would invest a certain amount of money per letter grade B and up I think.  That money was to go towards a car when we were old enough.  I don't know that I'll be able to do that, but it's a thought.

OregonMom80
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

We reward for good grades.  We treat it similarly to a job - if I do an above average job, I get a bonus or promotion.  Well, moving grades is the promotion, but a kid's "job" is to go to school.  Above average performance earns a "bonus."

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Well if mine get bad grades they will be punished. And if they get good grades all year long at the end of the school year we will do something special for them.

gizmo538
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:44 AM
They get priviledges taken away when they get bad grades (depending on the reason for the bad grade) so I don't see any harm in doing something to celebrate good grades. I wouldn't go overboard with it but something to show that we're proud and something that will encourage them to keep trying should be relatively harmless.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Oceana09
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:01 AM

My cousins and I always got rewarded for our report cards. Our Grandparents always took care of that. They even had a pay scale.

A-$20

B- $15

C-$ 5

D- We owed Papa - $10

F- We owed Papa - $25

At the end of the year if we received any academic awards we got $50 for each one. I got that extra $50 4 times throughout my hs career. It was awesome.

annelauer
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:00 AM

We haven't ever rewarded for good grades.  I guess I just assumed that since our daughter is capable of getting them, she ought to.  Our younger two are less gifted though.  Maybe we should start rewarding our oldest since the younger two might have that luxury.  I had a 4.0 through high school and college and nobody ever cared.  (Prior to that I got all "+" in a +, check, - grading system.)  My brother got paid for C grades since he was passing and prior to that paid for check-minus or above.  (He never went to college.)  I thought it was unfair as a kid, but now I know that my reward was great employment and a better life.  He still lives with my dad and rarely works...

mama2beautiesnb
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this
i believe if bad behavior is punished, then good behavior should be rewarded, so yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandi812
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:42 AM

I think yes, while in school I was rewarded for good grades, and it promoted me to keep doing well.

A coworker of mine has promised his kid a carat graduation as long as she gets all a's and b's and doesn't get pregnet while in HS.  This has his kid working hard, and very good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)