Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should we reward kids for good grades

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think children should get a reward for good grades or should they be expected to get good grades in school?  If you give a child a reward one time for getting good grades, do they expect a reward every time? 

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR CHILD ABUSE!simple frown

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
MomTiara19
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:11 AM

I always give my daughter praise and we go out to eat at the end of the year.She has been a high honor student for two years straight.Hopefully next year ...her first year of highschool will be as good.

My son however who is now 20 and in college was more the athlete in his elementary highschool years.We celebrated for him too...

Not so much gifts for either of them though...just eating out,party.or movie.It was always a good time:)

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel that if we are going to punish them for getting bad grades then we should 'reward' them for good grades. 

Praise, and if money is an incentive that works, then use it. 

After all, people get promotions, raises, and stuff like that for doing well at work.

goddess829
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:51 AM

We absolutly reward for good grades.  They worked hard, and should be rewarded and proud of it.  It was also great incentive for my middle child to get good grades after seeing that his brother was rewarded for them. 

emmy526
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:03 AM

nope...never paid the kids to learn...they were naturally curious to begin with, did well in school from the beginning, and when the report cards started coming in, no rewards were ever expected.  We do, however treat them to something for their efforts, such as the new tshirt they wanted, or the new necklace....they are teens now, on the honor roll, and still getting a reward for their efforts....but they don't get money for learning. 

PerfectVirgo
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM
We do rewards for good grades, but I also punish for bad grades. I know what my children are capable of though, so the scale of good and bad is different for each child. My son is phenomenally smart, so anything less than honor roll gets a punishment. Same with my oldest daughter. They both received a board game for honor roll this quarter. My youngest is different. She struggled, and did not do well at all. So no punishment, no reward. But I bought her a few apps that are helping her a lot. She doesn't see it as extra help, they're fun for her, so I guess she might think it's a reward. ;) and she's already showing improvement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I don't believe in rewarding kids for the good grades. 

itsm3
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM

this.  i didn't get a thing from my parents for good grades because they expected that i would... same goes for house chores.  i'll do the same with my dd as well when she starts elementary school

Quoting Amanda52007:

I struggled with this a while ago and asked in another group.

I decided that I expect nothing less than all As and great behavior. So, I'm not rewarding something that their supposed to do.

I brag on them for days, post about it on FB, call their dad to brag, but that's it.

mommatothree01
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:51 AM

We reward.  We go to the bookstore and they get new books when I get report cards, or we'll go out to dinner or go bowling.  I don't give them money though.  And while they do sort of expect a new book, they don't expect anything else.  I'm not going to complain that my kids want a new book when they do well in school. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I am become very opposed to rewarding kids for doing what's expected. I've read some research which proves it counter productive and really damages motivation in the long run. 

By rewarding kids all the time they never focus on the intrinsic rewards of doing what's right. At some point many children will lose interest in the reward. When that happens they start working toward the goal. Plus, at some point the reward will no longer be available and many children will no longer see a reason to reach the goal. 

CABZS
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I find this a bit sad.  Not every child is a straight A student.  I know I wasn't and I'm not stupid by any means.

I hated math & I sucked on tests.

My son is in gifted classes so I exect As & Bs from him & he's rewarded for both.  He works hard & I am going to let him know how proud I am of him.

My DD is only in 2nd but she is rewarded for her "Ms" which is mastered & her "Ss" which is satisfactory or right where she should be. I also reward her for every 20 reading counts points.

People who do their job, good jobs at work get noticed & rewarded for me I feel it is the same w/school.

If my parents demanded all As, & never acknowledged my effort for heck just a C in math something tells me I would have felt defeated & completely given up, math was a thorn in my side for years!

Quoting Amanda52007:

I struggled with this a while ago and asked in another group.

I decided that I expect nothing less than all As and great behavior. So, I'm not rewarding something that their supposed to do.

I brag on them for days, post about it on FB, call their dad to brag, but that's it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)