Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should we reward kids for good grades

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think children should get a reward for good grades or should they be expected to get good grades in school?  If you give a child a reward one time for getting good grades, do they expect a reward every time? 

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR CHILD ABUSE!simple frown

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (41-50):
3rd2bedue
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

School is a child's job. Why should they not get paid for doing a good job? 

Would you go to work and do your best if you were not getting paid? Nope i think not - so, just the same kids need to be rewarded IMO. Incentive IS VERY MUCH needed to get a kid to do their best, just as it is for us adults too! 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Rewarding kids with money or treats isn't the only way to encourage them. 

No one is saying not to be encouraging and give praise. 

Quoting CABZS:

I find this a bit sad.  Not every child is a straight A student.  I know I wasn't and I'm not stupid by any means.

I hated math & I sucked on tests.

My son is in gifted classes so I exect As & Bs from him & he's rewarded for both.  He works hard & I am going to let him know how proud I am of him.

My DD is only in 2nd but she is rewarded for her "Ms" which is mastered & her "Ss" which is satisfactory or right where she should be. I also reward her for every 20 reading counts points.

People who do their job, good jobs at work get noticed & rewarded for me I feel it is the same w/school.

If my parents demanded all As, & never acknowledged my effort for heck just a C in math something tells me I would have felt defeated & completely given up, math was a thorn in my side for years!

Quoting Amanda52007:

I struggled with this a while ago and asked in another group.

I decided that I expect nothing less than all As and great behavior. So, I'm not rewarding something that their supposed to do.

I brag on them for days, post about it on FB, call their dad to brag, but that's it.

Amanda52007
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:09 AM
That's true, not every student is stellar.

Mine are. Mine have never made less than a 94 on a report card and have always gotten perfect behavior notes.

My 6 yr old is in 1st grade, on a 2nd grade track in reading and language arts, and she's in gifted.

She's NEVER made less than a 97.

My 8 yr old is in an advanced, technology based program this year. Shes on a 5th grade reading track.

She's never made less than a 94.

They also are both in afterschool clubs, play sports thru our Y, and are very social. That's how they are, I'm not rewarding them for what's expected.

No jobs reward their employees for the job they do daily, what's expected of them.

And I never said they don't "get noticed". They get bragged on, photos of report cards get posted on FB, and call family members.

In my opinion, that's getting noticed.
Quoting CABZS:

I find this a bit sad.  Not every child is a straight A student.  I know I wasn't and I'm not stupid by any means.

My son is in gifted classes so I exect As & Bs from him & he's rewarded for both.  He works hard & I am going to let him know how proud I am of him.

My DD is only in 2nd but she is rewarded for her "Ms" which is mastered & her "Ss" which is satisfactory or right where she should be. I also reward her for every 20 reading counts points.

People who do their job, good jobs at work get noticed & rewarded for me I feel it is the same w/school.

If my parents demanded all As, & never acknowledged my effort for heck just a C in math something tells me I would have felt defeated & completely given up, math was a thorn in my side for years!

Quoting Amanda52007:

I decided that I expect nothing less than all As and great behavior. So, I'm not rewarding something that their supposed to do.

I brag on them for days, post about it on FB, call their dad to brag, but that's it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amanda52007
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly.

My kids would be 500lbs and I wouldn't have ANY money if we rewarded them for each awesome thing they did. They do awesome daily.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Rewarding kids with money or treats isn't the only way to encourage them. 

No one is saying not to be encouraging and give praise. 

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting Amanda52007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JAIRATRACI
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Same here. The reward they get is their education and if they do really well in high school they may get a scholarship.

Quoting Amanda52007:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JAIRATRACI
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM
They don't need to be paid for something they should be doing. My kids will be getting in trouble if they do not put forth the effort to get good grades.

Quoting mckinneymom918:

We do for all A's. and we let her pick where we go for dinner. If you don't reward What's to keep the good grades coming home and the kids trying their hardest? But I think each kids is different... Some need more encouragement to continue doing their best, and I think kids "best" vary.
JAIRATRACI
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Adults get paid to work. Their reward is to get to keep their job if they are doing it well.

Quoting militarywife09:

My oldest is in Kindergarten, but once she gets grades I will probably reward her. Adults get paid to do good work right?
militarywife09
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM
And a child's job is to go to school. What do they get if they do well? Nothing? No. My kids will get rewarded.

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

Adults get paid to work. Their reward is to get to keep their job if they are doing it well.

Quoting militarywife09:

My oldest is in Kindergarten, but once she gets grades I will probably reward her. Adults get paid to do good work right?

Amanda52007
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM
What kinds of jobs do y'all have that get paid extra or get a raise for doing something expected?! I need to work there!!!!

I worked. I would stay after to help with the books, I would help others when they were behind/out, I would work thru lunch sometimes.

I NEVER had an extra 20 bucks on my paycheck, or gotten a raise for doing those things.

I got a "thank you so much" from the boss, and went about my day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amanda52007
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Actually it's not THEIR job to go to school. It's YOUR job to make them to go to school.

Do you pay them for hours on campus? Do they have a time card?

Don't compare school to a job. They have NO choice. People who work have a choice

Quoting militarywife09:

And a child's job is to go to school. What do they get if they do well? Nothing? No. My kids will get rewarded.

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

Quoting militarywife09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)