Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

4th grader failing school

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM
  • 37 Replies
My son has always had a hard time getting his work turned in, but this year it is out of control. He will do the work, but never turn it in. We watch him do his homework, and put it in his backpack, but it doesn't get turned in. He isn't turning in work he does in class either. The teacher will watch him do the work, but he puts it in his desk instead of turning it in. Tests he takes he gets A's, but other than that and grades for presentations and participation is all 0's. the teacher reminds him, asks him about the work and still nothing. When she goes into his desk she finds completed work that he never turned in. He likes going to school and seeing his friends, and he is well behaved, helps others, we hear tons of complements on his behavior.

We started the school year with video games and movies, but only on non school days. A month in we had a open house at school, and that is when I learned he wasn't turning in his work. We started checking his backpack, watching him do his work and put it in his backpack. A month or so later we had parent teacher conferences, and found out that he had turned in his homework for a couple weeks, and then stopped. He was grounded for a week, then his teacher said he was turning stuff (including a lot of his missing stuff)in so he was not grounded anymore. On Tuesday he brought home a progress report, he had 1 D and 2 F's. All because of his missing work. This time he is completely grounded from all electronic things for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer.

But I don't think this will work, he will turn stuff in for a week or two, then stop. He is in danger of having to repeat 4th grade. He can do the work, he does most of it, he just never turns it in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he say why he does not turn it in?  DD is only in the 1st grade so when she has work she has to turn in from home, it goes into her school folder on the take back to school side and the teacher checked her folder. I would ask the teacher(s) if we all can sit down with him and figure out a game plan to get him back on track for passing the grade.  It is wonderful he aces the tests but every day classwork counts towards grade as well.

CandyRayne
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Have a talk with him and the school counselor to get a grasp on what is going on. There has to be a reason why he is not turning in the work. He may be insecure about something. Get a good communication going with the school principal and the teacher and the counselor. Make sure that you know where his work is at all times. Tell him that his work is very important and that it is needed to gauge what he knows and what he needs help with. Good luck with everything.

Hottubgodess
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

So, my question is simple - WHY is he not turning it in?  What is his reason?  Does he forget?  I know the teacher expects independence from kids at this age (and responsibility) but can she give him reminders?  Short term to help him out. 

sunflowers12
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Well, all you can really do us continue trying to work with the school.. be sure there's know disorders if learning issuses.. if its just laziness n just not wanting to do it then disaplin like taking away his stuff maybe no Christmas this year n the potential for summer school instead if having summer break.. just some ideas of what you can use against the boy.. try talking to him as well not at him try listening to what's going on in his head... I have a fourth grader he us 10 he like to act tough at times he has learning issues as well as adhd inatentive so some of his attitude us from that.. but when its just he n I and there's know one else around I can talk to him and get to the bottom of what's going on in his head...
happy-go-lucky
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
We have asked him and he says "I don't know" he sees the cousler once and a while, but the cousler doesn't get any more about it. The teacher reminds him, but unless someone goes into his backpack or desk and gets it, or watches him non stop he doesn't turn it in. He will spend 5 minuets pretending to look for papers in his backpack to get out of turning stuff in. Dh and I have talked about pulling him out and doing online school, and way i can watch him 24/7 to make sure he gets the work in, but we havent because we think think that will hurt him in other ways.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

That sounds like my dh when he was in school. He gave up because he was so bored and so he didn't see the point of school anymore. I hope that you get it figured out.

Pandagurl
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Well you should make a chart and you can write down the days he turns in his homework. Start by seeing if he can turn it in for a week strait and if he can give him a prize or a spiecial day at the arcade or something😝
PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Get him a folder for homework that he can give to his teacher and have her return it to him and make him put it in his backpack every day.  Ask the teacher to remind him about turning in classwork.  Kids at this age are real space cadets.  They are always forgetting stuff.  Maybe reminding him at home and giving him a reward at the end of the week if he turns everything in?  Maybe the teacher can make him a chart that she can stamp or check for turned in homework/classwork and at the end of the week he gets a small reward?

Lorena
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it is a 4th grade thing. This is my 5th time going through 4th grade and everyone of them has done this.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM

What does he say about this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN