Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Rules?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hey ladies as you all know I am going to start as a bus driver on monday and I'm actully excited to meet and get to know my kids a bit more than I do now.

So my question is what kind of rules and regulations would you like to see to see safty on a school bus? heres what we have so far.

State Rules:

(1) Elementary kids sit in the first 5 rows

(2) Remain seated and faced forward

(3) Keep food and drinks in backpack

(4) Talk Quietly use appropriate language

(5) Keep head.arms,feet,and objects inside the bus

Here are my extra rules:

(1) Keep hands and feet to yourself

(2) No Littering on the bus (means dont throw trash ETC. on the bus)

(3) No obnoxious noises such as arm farts, any weird noises.

(4) Of course don't get on my nerves

I am planning on getting to know the parents as much as possible on my route.  

Is there anything else you would like to see for safety on the bus your child rides?.  I would like to get all my rules on my bus ready for Monday cause that's when they will be put into place. 

It will be one warning and I will take them to the office and here is what they will get

!st offence warning

2nd 1day off the bus

3rd 3 days off the bus

4th 5 days off the bus

5th student is suspended for 10 days and parent has to show up to the central office

6th permanent suspension

I really don't wanna see some kids not go to school so I don't think it will get to far :)

Thank you ladies and be honest

I am a mom of 2. I believe in loving how you choose to live. As long as your not hurting anyone who cares?.My kids are my life you mess with them YOU MESS WITH ME!!!!. My husband loves me with all his heart! 10 years and still counting. We knew each other 2 weeks before we got married!.  I love my life the way it is a few tweaks it will be all right!!!.  Gess who its Felicity

in love     blowing bubblesice creamteacher

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Explain what "don't get on my nerves" entails

2_kiddos
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Talking to loudly not listening,  Have to tell them sevral times,  Being to loud,  nothing major :)

sunflowers12
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM

good luck 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM

What are the rules already set in place by the school and transportation department regarding removal from the bus?

2_kiddos
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM

the first 5

but my rules come into play also if it involves safty in the bus

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM
"Of course, don't get on my nerves" is toovague. I think that is covered in the other rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Are you allowed to have your own set of additional rules?

I think your rules are covered in the state rules, except maybe the littering one isn't clear.

auroragold
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my head around "don't get on my nerves". How is that a rule? what SPECIFICALLY gets on your nerves?  How will a child (or even a parent) know what "gets on your nerves"?

Certainly what gets on MY nerves may be different from what gets on YOUR nerves. You might want to consider eliminating that as it is not measurable

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, stick with state rules.  Kids need 5 or fewer rules to remember in any given situation.  Any more and they aren't going to pay attention.

Good luck! 

VeronicaTex
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Hello, 2_kiddos,

Congratulations on your new job.

As a former teacher this is what worked best in the classroom:  5 well-written concise rules.

The state rules, as others have implied,  are the ones that in the end must be followed   These are written with children's safety in mind.  

They have a profession tone to them, which in the end will be the guidelines that will make or break the kids.  The rules set the boundaries that the children must follow and you as a driver will be accountable for.

If you get a chance to talk to them as a group. I know you will emphasize the safety aspect of following the rules.   Many times safety goes over the kids' heads, unless you point it out from the very beginning, that you have their protection in mind and that you care about each and every one of them.

Anything outside, especially the one "don't get on my nerves" is in my humble opinion, an open invitation for defiance.

You can easily show your authority by posting your rules.  

Your assertive, kind manner will show up in how you greet the kids and parents on your route.

There is something very special about a moderate, even toned-down firm voice, which at the beginning might seem a little tough to use and for some to hear, but you can lighten up once you have yourself established and see that the kids are complying.

I promise you get what you "demand".

Best wishes to you,

Veronica-Elementary classroom teacher for 21 years

Quoting anxiousschk:

Honestly, stick with state rules.  Kids need 5 or fewer rules to remember in any given situation.  Any more and they aren't going to pay attention.

Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)