Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should I mind my own business?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM
  • 33 Replies

I work full time and have a 5 year old in kindergarten.  I drop him off on my way to work and he gets picked up by the daycare provider at 2:35.  I pick him up from her house at 5.  I had today off work, so I went to pick my son up at school.  While I was getting him in the car, one of the little girls from his class was being picked up by her Dad ( I am assuming he is her Dad, I don't know them).  She got in the front seat of his pick up truck and not only did she not sit in a car seat, he didn't even seat belt her in!  She was sitting on her knees waving to the kids out of the window as her Dad drove off!

I was already driving when I noticed them driving off like that and the teacher was getting the other kids on the bus, but I can't help but think I should have done something?  It is a rural school, pretty far out in the country, so I know they would have had to drive at least a mile or two home, if not further.  Should I tell the teacher tomorrow?  Should I just mind my own business? 

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I would perhaps mention it ot the front office and see what their policy is for that.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM
4 moms liked this
Not sure what the laws are in your state, but honestly I would let it go. There really isn't anything that the school can do about it anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Mind your own business. This is a parental choice, even if you/I don't agree with it.
ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would mind my business (that isn't coming out rudely, that statement can be read wrong). There are parents that allow their kids to ride up front, not in a car seat and not buckled here. I just stay out of it. I feel like i should be the child's voice and tell them how unsafe that is and how much they are risking, but it wouldn't change anything. .. they obviously don’t care, don’t mind the law, and me saying something won't change anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure the teachers are aware. the reality is that there is nothing more you can do about it. I don't the sad is ignorant in this day and age. he just didn't want anyone telling him his to raise his child.
janitablue
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM

My husband  allowed my son to seat in the front seat but I was not aware of this. His sister , and  my mother in law , had to confront him let him know it was against law. Find out the what the rules are in your state and confront the parent by saying that I know that is no of my business but as a concern parent you should not have your child in the front of the seat for the safety of the child.

I bet he is aware of the law and to lazy to do something.

Ask yourself if you were doing something wrong how would you feel if a total strange(parent) or a school offical confront you would you feel offend. Once you answer the question that you will be able to solve your problem.

Good luck

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know that there is much you can do.  Trust me, I know how you feel, it happens all the time at our school.

This is how I would handle it.  I would contact the principle and let him/her know the situation (optimally without names unless the principal asks).  Ask if he/she could put a reminder in the school newsletter (if they have one) about children's safety.  That way everybody is addressed, saves you from a possible sticky situation.

Hope this helps!!!!

PinkParadox
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Write down the plate number and call it in to the police. Best thing you can do. If they were in an accident, you'd feel guilty forever, for not speaking up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting janitablue:

My husband  allowed my son to seat in the front seat but I was not aware of this. His sister , and  my mother in law , had to confront him let him know it was against law. Find out the what the rules are in your state and confront the parent by saying that I know that is no of my business but as a concern parent you should not have your child in the front of the seat for the safety of the child.

I bet he is aware of the law and to lazy to do something.

Ask yourself if you were doing something wrong how would you feel if a total strange(parent) or a school offical confront you would you feel offend. Once you answer the question that you will be able to solve your problem.

Good luck

I have to respectfully disagree. Confronting a parent over their decision, when it has no direct bearing on your child, is stupid and could cause an uproar that you aren't prepared to handle. It's one thing to remind a family member, but a complete stranger is obnoxious. This is NOT a school issue and I guarantee you that the principal does NOT have time to deal with parents "tattling" on each other. It's not going to change this parent's mind or most likely their actions. Let it go!
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Quoting PinkParadox:

Write down the plate number and call it in to the police. Best thing you can do. If they were in an accident, you'd feel guilty forever, for not speaking up.

THIS. And I have done it numerious times. Except when it was a few of hubby's friends kids, because hubby told me they should know better and leave it alone. So I did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)