Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Tattling" to the school about another parent

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

A couple of recent posts got me thinking.  Most of us have "hot button" issues that we find there is no compromise on.  For some it's safety related, others it's nutritionally related, etc.  Why, however, do some moms insist on trying to put the school in the middle?  It probably seems like the logical place, but realistically it's not by a long shot.  Teachers and administrators have their hands full with curriculum, testing, grading, etc.  They do NOT want or have time to deal with Johnny's mother telling on Susie's mother because she may or may not have buckled Susie in AFTER school.  To me, unless it is CPS worthy, it should not be brought up.  What are some things that you feel are report worthy?

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Um ya why not go to the CPS first if it is serious enough. Otherwise deal with it with the person you have the issue with. We tell our kids not to tattle so same should be for the adults.
eztwins
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Short of out and out abuse I stay out of other peoples lives. I have issues I care about for my family. What others choose to do is not my concern. You don't buckle your kids not my problem. Little billy eats cheetos and mms for lunch not my business.
momof3jam
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Abuse, drug use in the home, neglect... But I probably wouldn't burden the school. These are serious issues and I'd probably talk to the parent first, then contact CPS if I wasn't satisfied with the outcome.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I agree.

Quoting eztwins:

Short of out and out abuse I stay out of other peoples lives. I have issues I care about for my family. What others choose to do is not my concern. You don't buckle your kids not my problem. Little billy eats cheetos and mms for lunch not my business.

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
I don't "tattle" to the school but I do ask the school to talk to my skids when they come home from there bm with bruises. I do this because they always tell us they don't know how they got them and if I call cps the tell me they wont look into because they think that I am being vindictive. So we have the school talk to them so they can report it, we also take them to the Dr to have it documented and reported. I am not being vindictive or tattling. I am truly concerned about them.
Now when it comes to other families I would not "tattle" on them to the school. If you saw a child not getting buckeled in you don't know if the child knows how to buckle themselves in. But if you are truly concerned call the police anf report the plates.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Since when is being improperly restrained in a vehicle NOT child neglect?

That aside, I do think people should leave the school out of it unless it directly involves the school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Gawd....tattling parents...I would get in so much trouble if anyone tried tattling on me...another great reason to homeschool.never had an issue with it in 6 + years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM

About the only thing I would involve the school in would be suspected abuse. They would be able to observe more closely and if it needs to be reported it would be taken more seriously coming from the school then it would a parent who only sees the kid at random times.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Abuse, neglect, drug use, leaving child(ren) alone in the car.

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM
3 moms liked this
Another thought if abuse is going on chances are their teacher or someone has noticed. I would think if you have a child in your class 7 hours a day if you are doing your job as a teacher ( not that detecting abuse is their job, just getting to know kids) you are going to notice if something is off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)