Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should religious holiday display be allowed on public property

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM
  • 25 Replies

I was watching the local news their were coverage on religious holiday display on public premise. Some community member felt offend  that religious holiday display were on public property especially when it is a wide range of cultures and religious in that community. I personally don't see what the big deal is.

Do you think religious holiday display be allowed on public property? Why or Why not?

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MammaPaparazza
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM
5 moms liked this
I think that's complete bullshit. People need to relax and stfu about it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Looneyfarmmom
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Doesn't bother me, I see a Yule tree put up in government buildings right next to a manger. It is okay, they can call it a Christmas tree but I know its history and where it came from. My religion is covered lol. Personally I like seeing everyone's portrayal of the winter season's holidays. 

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM

It doesn't bother me at all.  There is a nativity scene on our courthouse lawn.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM
5 moms liked this
I think if you put up a display for onr religion, you should put up one for all. I am Jewish. As a kid I felt left out because everything was Christmas, Christmas, Chistmas. A lot of it still is. I am not offended but wish others would remember there are other holidays being celebrated this time of year. It's not fun being excluded from things and as a kid, that can be hard to understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting coolmommy2x:

I think if you put up a display for onr religion, you should put up one for all. I am Jewish. As a kid I felt left out because everything was Christmas, Christmas, Chistmas. A lot of it still is. I am not offended but wish others would remember there are other holidays being celebrated this time of year. It's not fun being excluded from things and as a kid, that can be hard to understand.

I'm Jewish too but I don't see it like that. I grew up in Israel and over there the people who celebrated Christmas were the minority. When we immigrated to the u.s. we became the minority but I still enjoyed the Christmas season and have no issues with Christmas trees, or manger scenes being displayed even though there is no menorah or other holiday displays around.
I celebrate Christmas and hannuka every year with my catholic husband and our son is being raised during the chrismaka season. It's not all black and white and people need to chill out!!
trebelcleff
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I'm not religious but it wouldn't bother me at all.  One of my favorite decorations as a child was a little manger with all of the people and animals... it was like a little doll house except farm style (lol) and I used to play with it for hours.  Religious decorations aren't going to change my religion, and I'm tolerant of many religions (if not all), so why would I care if there was a display?  I think everyone is getting too sensitive over this sort of thing and I find it ridiculous.

hriabywx4
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM
3 moms liked this
I think if someone is offended that their religious holiday isn't represented on public property they should get involved in a positive way and work to have their religion represented.

When I see/ hear about people that are offended about these displays they seem to want to tear it down. What would happen if they offered to raise money to get a display that showed their religion. I know it might not work in every situation but why do they try to tear it down before they attempt to build it up? :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
_Mrs.H_
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM

For almost ever there was a nativity scene in the town square.  Then 2 years ago a non believer wanted to put a banner up in the square during the holidays.  Now there is nothing in the square but a fountain.

The nativity scene sits in front of the church at the square and since it pissed a lot of people off there are a ton of nativity scenes every where at this time.

I believe that they should have a little something for everyone but since it probably would have looked like crap they were best to make it that nothing was allowed there. 

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM

this..I think all religions should be covered. 

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Doesn't bother me, I see a Yule tree put up in government buildings right next to a manger. It is okay, they can call it a Christmas tree but I know its history and where it came from. My religion is covered lol. Personally I like seeing everyone's portrayal of the winter season's holidays. 

Kasi Lynn, Calvin David, & Lilith Jade's Mommy
The Work will wait while you show the child the RAINBOW, but the rainbow won't wait while you do your work.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM
My DH isn't Jewish either, we celebrate both too.

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'm Jewish too but I don't see it like that. I grew up in Israel and over there the people who celebrated Christmas were the minority. When we immigrated to the u.s. we became the minority but I still enjoyed the Christmas season and have no issues with Christmas trees, or manger scenes being displayed even though there is no menorah or other holiday displays around.

I celebrate Christmas and hannuka every year with my catholic husband and our son is being raised during the chrismaka season. It's not all black and white and people need to chill out!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN