Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

New math is freakn confusing

Posted by   + Show Post
So my 1st graders did not do well on their trimester math test. When my husband and I looked over it, we saw one's that we can help with and then we saw others that we just went "what the f@%& is this?". We had NO idea how to get the answer at all. We have been looking over and reviewing their math everyday but I don't understand why this new math is so important.

I'm all for new ways to learn but this is just weird and maybe too many unnecessary steps to adding and subtracting.

Ok...vent over for now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM
2 moms liked this
I HATE HATE HATE "new math". I was good at math...in elementary school, middle school, high school, and college. I got good grades. I consider myself to be pretty smart. When I am helping my 4th grader, I feel like she is doing some alien version of math. Some of the concepts are sooooo confusing. To me, it makes no sense. No wonder my daughter struggles. I try to teach her the "old school" way, but I think I am confusing her more because her teacher insists they do it a certain way. I think someone should start an online petition to bring back the old math. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ganna04
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

No, we don't, just workshits...

ganna04
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Chinosruca, I support it a lot, the petition start. We had a math night out, the problems that introduced are so for from the children world, from real world. They so artificial...The problem in this new nath is understanding what required, what is the question asks, the solution is usually very simple, but that first 'huh?' could last.

LilyBeansMom
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM
I am so glad I am not alone! My 2nd grader brought home a review sheet last week that I was supposed to check and sign. I took a picture of one problem and posted it on facebook for my husband. None of my friends could figure it out either. I decided it must be a printing error. It wasn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ganna04
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Can you give examples? just interested.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I was trying to add a picture but couldn't but here is the question:

Use the circles (7 in one box and 4 in another) to make 10. Which addition sentence helps you make 10 to add 7 and 4?

Quoting ganna04:

Can you give examples? just interested.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ganna04
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

What?

Is this use add up to 10 strategy to solve 7+4= , i.e * * * * * * * (7) + * * * (3) =10 and then + *  (1) (left from 4)=11 ?

I see, it sooo confusing indeed... mine mind breaker was- 42/7=6, explain how divider, dividend and quotient related, write a general rule about dividend and quotient.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh boy am I glad I homeschool. Math is one of the huge reasons I do. The methods make no sense and there's so much busy work! Really why are we trying to use math answers to crack this huge code for a riddle? Can't math just be math?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I'm so glad our schools haven't revamped the math curriculum like that. What they've done with cursive is insane enuf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Yes, that's basically the idea but to me its just another unnecessary step to.solve the problem. my oldest didn't have this. In fact, after learning the concept, she just worked on it with mainly flashcards.

Quoting ganna04:

What?

Is this use add up to 10 strategy to solve 7+4= , i.e * * * * * * * (7) + * * * (3) =10 and then + *  (1) (left from 4)=11 ?

I see, it sooo confusing indeed... mine mind breaker was- 42/7=6, explain how divider, dividend and quotient related, write a general rule about dividend and quotient.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)