Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Uh, the Elf isn't on the Shelf anymore

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

My kids are typically fairly well behaved. They didn't go through the terrible twos and we get complimented in public about how well they behave.

Five weeks ago we had newborn twin girls. I had a c-section, so I was in the hospital for 5 days. A month prior to their delivery, I was in the hospital with preterm labor. Their little worlds were turned upside down in a 30 day period. They started acting out, not listening, and basically pretending like my husband and I didn't exist. We had tried to prepare them, but they took full advantage of my being on bedrest and my husband having to be the only one running after them. They ran him ragged.

In a desperate mommy moment to get my 5 year old to behave, I resorted to manipulation tactics with the Elf on the Shelf and threats of a report by the Elf made directly by Santa. I went to Target to specifically purchase 2 Elves, one for my 4 year old son and one for my 5 year old daughter. We told them the story and placed the Elves in a visible location in their bedrooms, which they were supposed to be cleaning up. Three days later, I'm still threatening them with a report by the Elves to Santa. Today is day 4. I found both Elves in the backyard this morning. When I asked the kids why the Elves were in the backyard, they told me they'd "freed" them and told the Elves they no longer had to watch them, they were free to go and play and have fun.

I'm hoping that this is a passing phase with the addition of the twins to our family. I thought the "freeing of the Elves" was pretty funny. I hope anyone else who is trying this is having better results....

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Gotta love their creativity w/ that "setting them free" bit : )

We don't do Elf on a Shelf, but I do threaten to email Santa. If I knew how to text, I'd threaten to do that. . .

I bet this will pass as they get used to their new little sisters and everyone gets into a new routine. Just do your best to stay consistent w/ the discipline, and get some one-on-one time w/ each of them.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I would tell them that since they touched the Elf then he no longer has any magic and he can't tell santa when they are being good or bad so they can't get any presents.
Maybe a letter from 'Santa' telling them how he's sorry he won't be able to bring any presents because he's not getting reports will help.

My son kept touching the elf and I found this online and used it. He hasn't touched it since.
http://southerndisposition.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-to-do-when-someone-touches-elf-on.html

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Why keep threatenng??? Write a letter to santa and read it out loud to them.  Put it in an envelope to mail directly.  They need consistent discipline which disappeared when you ended up in hospital.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

You can set up a video message from santa for naughty children .  I have done that for dd once.  Usually she is pretty good kid but gets a streak or orneriness.

Quoting wakymom:

Gotta love their creativity w/ that "setting them free" bit : )

We don't do Elf on a Shelf, but I do threaten to email Santa. If I knew how to text, I'd threaten to do that. . .

I bet this will pass as they get used to their new little sisters and everyone gets into a new routine. Just do your best to stay consistent w/ the discipline, and get some one-on-one time w/ each of them.

amyleigh80
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM
You have got your hands full with those kids mama. Just breathe...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambercates
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM
LMAO! They freed the elves, how funny! I'd tell them Santa called, and said he is unhappy with them! I'd just tell them if you act this way, no presents from Santa! It works for my 5 year old son!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM

That's so funny!  We just got our Elf tonight.

MichelleSw
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

We don't do the behavior aspect... We have fun :P Like a game with her elf!

janitablue
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

wow your kids are very creative. I have not try the elf with my son.

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Oh I am sorry but that is funny. Tell them the magic is gone now that they touched them and Santa needs them back. Tell them they might come back if they are good. Just simply say hey the better you are the more presents so it's not threatening.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)