Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dd in kindergarten and staying sick...HELP! TIPS! ADVICE!

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM
  • 13 Replies
My dd is 5yrs old in kinder. She did good for about 2 months and then she started getting sick. She has already been out for a whole week and then several other days.Shes had bacterial pharangytis, random viruses, fever, runny nose, cough, allergic reactions ( to what we dont know, neither does the doc) just one thing after the next. My younger dd has been well and doing good even tho big sis keeps bringing sickness home..but her luck ran out and she started running a fever of 103 and then got over that just to start puking!! Im one tired my momma. Dd still has a cough but no fever and i sent her to school after giving her delsym. I know the first year in school is gonna be hard on her immune system..but is there anything i could or should be doing to keep her from getting sick. I already stress to her bout keeping her hands out of her mouth and washing her hands. Idk what else to do. Im also 5wks pregnant and really dont feel like coming done with some nasty funk. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM

That's what happens when kids don't go to daycare or preschool before kindergarten lol.  It's perfectly normal.  Your daughter is building up her immune system.  Kids that have been exposed to other kids prior to school have less illnesses.  The good news is your younger child will be less inclined to be sick as a kindergartner than this one.  Just have her get plenty of rest and eat well.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Just make sure she's eating well, washes her hands frequently (right after she gets home would be great if she's not doing so already), and gets plenty of sleep. Some kids just get sick more easily than others.

Ds1 was sick more often when he started preschool, then again when we moved and changed districts. The plus side- his younger brother and sister caught everything he brought home, so when they started school, they didn't get sick as often.

(((Hugs))) Hope they start feeling better soon.

banana-bear
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Up her vitamin C intake, make sure she's eating lots of fruits and veggies and getting plenty of water, feed her more garlic and honey (but not at the same time, lol), keep on her about hand washing and not sharing personal items at school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JennyLee24
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Yes...i know u are right. Just cant wait for this year to be over. My little one goes to prek next yr.Hoping for less sickness then..

Quoting mjande4:

That's what happens when kids don't go to daycare or preschool before kindergarten lol.  It's perfectly normal.  Your daughter is building up her immune system.  Kids that have been exposed to other kids prior to school have less illnesses.  The good news is your younger child will be less inclined to be sick as a kindergartner than this one.  Just have her get plenty of rest and eat well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM
I have the same problem with my skids. When they were with there mom they where isolated (because she was on the run) & they were All premature births. Now we have them in schoo and they are sick alot. There bm thinks im doing it lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish I could tell you that it will get better next year, but I can't. It is more than the first year that is rough. My son was in preschool for 2 years and is now in 2nd Grade. He is just now built a little bit of an immune system. I'm going to be honest---he is still sick alot, but not as much as last year. I think it takes a good 4-5 years before they are not sick all the time. There is not a whole lot you can do, because you can't be with her all the time to have her wash her hands. Hang in there---this too shall pass---in about 4-5 years.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
That first year is hard. Just keep making sure she washes her hands alot, gets plenty of sleep extra if needed and eats a healthy diet. Ur smaller kids may get lucky and not get sick much tho when they go since they r being exposed to the sicklies. My youngest is in her first year of school and hardly gets as sick as her sister did. Her sister missed sooo much school her first year and now in 2ndthe grade she doesnt get sick nearly as often. Hang in there it gets better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by Janita on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I agreed with all the comments made in this post . The most important thing is teaching her proper hand wash. I tell my son sing happy birthday  while he washing his hand. There is nothing you can do because it is time of the year where cold and flu are rampant in school.

Make sure you have the hand alcohol base sanitizer used it only if she can not wash hands or hands is not visible dirty.

Make sure she have a flu shot I would recommend after a couple of days after a cold.

corrinacs
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey mama :( :(

It sounds like allergies to me.....does she get colds a lot?  You said the doctor doesn't know what she's allergic to?  Why haven't they referred you to an allergist?

I went through this with BOTH of my kids and its hard :(.  They were ALWAYS sick, with colds, etc.  But they are both are well controlled with allergy medicines and it has made a WORLD of difference.

If you don't need a referral, just go see the allergist.

Good luck mama!!!!!

NCISfan2003
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM

It sounds funny but I do it and it seems to work for us. I feed my kiddo yogurt with live cultures in it every day. He is hardly ever sick and if he does get sick then it is very mild. I didn't give him the yogurt every day a couple of years ago and he was sick all the time. Once I started giving him yogurt he quit catching everything he became exposed to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)