Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a 5 yr old that lies all the time

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM
  • 3 Replies

I don't even know how to stop this. Our 5 yr old DD lies all the time. About everything. She'll tell me she won something at school that didn't happen. Or she'll push her sister and tell me she fell down the stairs (Not that she pushed her down the stairs, just a simple push up in the girls room). She'll tell me she was stung by a bee during the night or other silly lies. I can't believe anything she says, and that's sad because she is only 5. We have tried talking to her about why lying is bad, but it does no good. Its been a few months now and its just getting worse. Any adivse on this? 

----- "I totally take back all those times I didn't nap when I was younger"
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
NYGiantsFan
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

My 5 year old daughter has a tendency to do this, too. Sometimes it's just due to an overactive imagination, other times it's a concern about getting in trouble (for instance when they, or a sibling break something). At 5 year's old, they're just starting to develop their moral compass. Try to give silly, and also serious examples about the difference between lying and telling the truth. For instance, say "Did Mommy fly on her head across the room to pick up the toys?" OR "Did Mommy walk over to the Legos and put them in the box?"

If she's fibbing about non-important things, try letting her know that a good imagination is fine, but she needs to understand the difference between something that REALLY happened, and something she's pretending about. For IMPORTANT lessons... such as who started a fight, whether someone hit/pushed her, who broke the toy, etc., let her know that there will be consequences for not being honest. My husband and I ALWAYS impress upon our 5 year old that if she tells the truth, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED, she will be punished, but it will be far worse if she's LYING about whatever she did. We say that we always love her, no matter what she did/does, but lying is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Instead of perhaps a time out, she'll also have priviledges taken away (losing a favorite toy, not being able to watch tv, going to bed earlier, etc.)

sunflowers12
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

oh yeah they do this for attention a lot of times.. i just always told my kid (s) when they were little you will get in less trouble if you tell the truth and then be sure to be consistent with your form of discipline if you catch her punish her for it.... not to say you dont but you really need to be convincing also if you do Santa tell her Santa knows when you telling the truth or a lie and better yet if your a believer in God/Jesus then explain to her what the bible says about liethen you can follow it all up when ever you catch her by saying i am not going to listen to you any more cause you will not tell me the truth and stop buying treats or take her the places she likes til you get it across to her... so if she is searching for attention by making stuff up she will not receive what she is looking for and then when she tells the truth reinforce it with attention :) 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM
This! DD is 8 and does it but after she tells the lie, she says "Just joking!" I try to explain that there is a difference between a joke and a lie but she doesn't care, she still thinks it's funny.

Quoting NYGiantsFan:

My 5 year old daughter has a tendency to do this, too. Sometimes it's just due to an overactive imagination, other times it's a concern about getting in trouble (for instance when they, or a sibling break something). At 5 year's old, they're just starting to develop their moral compass. Try to give silly, and also serious examples about the difference between lying and telling the truth. For instance, say "Did Mommy fly on her head across the room to pick up the toys?" OR "Did Mommy walk over to the Legos and put them in the box?"

If she's fibbing about non-important things, try letting her know that a good imagination is fine, but she needs to understand the difference between something that REALLY happened, and something she's pretending about. For IMPORTANT lessons... such as who started a fight, whether someone hit/pushed her, who broke the toy, etc., let her know that there will be consequences for not being honest. My husband and I ALWAYS impress upon our 5 year old that if she tells the truth, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED, she will be punished, but it will be far worse if she's LYING about whatever she did. We say that we always love her, no matter what she did/does, but lying is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Instead of perhaps a time out, she'll also have priviledges taken away (losing a favorite toy, not being able to watch tv, going to bed earlier, etc.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)