Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Can you and your family survive on $4.00 a day ?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

Newark New Jersey Mayor Corey Booker has create a food budget by using the guidelines of food stamp in New Jersey which is  the average of $4.00 per day $28.00 per week. This budget is for a single person.

Here are my thoughts  on this subject crap happen sometimes you need little help from the government. I believe the reason why they make budget like this because a. to spread the money around for anyone that is in need b. to keep you focus to get off government assistant.  I do believe that changes should be made to make it more livable for people that need food stamps.

Click on Battle of the buget to read the Mayor Corey Booker experiences

Some people feel that this is just a publicity stunt but it also bring awareness to people surviving on food stamp.  What are you thoughts ? If your where on a state budget for your family can you afford it? Do you think that Mayor Booker will help change food stamps and make it more livable.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

We are a family of 3 and our weekly shopping bill is between $50 - $60. I could live on $33 a week for just my self without a problem.

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

We are a family of seven and spend about $400 a month on groceries, that's $1.90 a day, so yes, no problem, we could buy even more food under that budget.

sunflowers12
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

well, this is a great topic for one.. there are many things going on here in my mind... one of them being that now the government is telling ppl how much they can have for the daily needs... its seems as if they are now controlling how much ppl will eat on food stamps... the government has been slowly taking everything away from us, so if you take the jobs away and now they have know choice but to relay on stamps and then you can control how much they eat... so you will no longer have the obesity problems.. i believe if you really need them the get them but i don't believe ppl should be lazy and not try to help them selves.... however i think that in some ppls lives due to bad decisions and what ever its almost impossible for them to help them selves, and they have know real choice but to be on stamps... the entire system needs a big overhaul... i think if your on assistance drug test should be given... i think that because ppl abuse the system there should be new ways that the stamps cant be use in any other way but for food and that food should be healthy food because i have seen folks on stamps that do not know what healthy eating is... and why this guy is say 4 dollars a day but then again the junk food is cheaper really confusing and strange but who are the ones at risk kids in my opinion... 4 dollars a day i just don't think that may be enough but then again it depends on what types of food their eating...what or how  is the four dollars a day based on what ppl in other countries eat with the food that we send them if they get it.. so your saying that the best America can do for our selves is give some oatmeal to families and maybe a few other items this doesn't sound like help to me...

othermom
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

For our family of 5 that would be $20 a dat, or $140 a week, so yeah we could

gracie0221
by Gracie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

We could probably survive on that much for my family of 4

NCISfan2003
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Sure, if I wanted to eat cheap crappy stuff. I prefer to feed my child healthy foods. I refuse to buy that cheap disgusting white or wheat bread. I buy bread that has tons of nuts and whole grains. I will not feed my child white or brown rice, I prefer to buy the wild rice which is better for you. I buy meat, veggies, and fruit which is on the expensive side. In total I probably spend about $100 a week on food.

mommaoftwo
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:35 PM

we are a family of 6 currently, and spend about $20/wk/person

but that includes things like toilet paper, and shampoo and conditioner, dish soap etc

AllofFive19
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yes, I could do that.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I feed myself, my son and my mom for $200 a month. It's fairly easy to do so his budget is very doable.

The problem with this is that food stamps is meant to supplement your food budget, not to be the entire budget. Its not supposed to be a livable amount. I understand that for a lot of people it is the only amount they have but again that isn't the way it's supposed to work.

I also think that this is just a publicity stunt. If he really wanted to see what it was like he should do it for a month and live in a home and have transportation that matches the budget that goes along with getting that amount of food stamps. There needs to be other support systems to help people get up and out of assistance and raising food stamps would do nothing more than put a band aid on a broken dam. If you don't solve the main problem everything else is just temporary and won't help in the long run.

shoot4thestars
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

We live on less than that most of the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)