Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Random Waking Up

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 6 year old son has started waking up quite often during the night. He always starts crying horribly and talking about random things. But he's still asleep. i ask him in the morning if he remembers but he doesn't. This gets so wearing for me, having to wake up early for work on 8 hours of completed interupted sleep :(  Not to mention he's not getting a good nights rest. Has anyone else ever experienced this with their children?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:11 AM

It sounds like nightmares or night terrors.  My dd talks in her sleep sometimes but i do not acknowledge her since she is still sound asleep.

anikahaynes1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:13 AM
If its night terrors you can stop them by waking him fully 30 minuets before his first terror begins. Do this for 7 days. It will break the terror cycle.

This is the advice my pedi nurse line gave us when my dd had terrors. It worked!!!! She hasn't had another episode since.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vmoranc
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Well if it continues, I'll definitely give that a shot. How did your child react to you waking them up??
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Just curious how you know when the first terror begins. When my girls had night terrors it would strike at different times every night. We eventually figure out protein in their stomachs set them off so we had to eliminate all protein about 4 hours before bed.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

If its night terrors you can stop them by waking him fully 30 minuets before his first terror begins. Do this for 7 days. It will break the terror cycle.

This is the advice my pedi nurse line gave us when my dd had terrors. It worked!!!! She hasn't had another episode since.

anikahaynes1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM

From what Ive read, experianced,and what was told to me from the nurse, night terrors usually the first episode will start around the same time each night...like for example I knew at 2-3am my daughter would wake up having a terror, so I set my alarm for 130 for a week, and never had a problem since...I dont really know, I assume its possible that it wouldnt be so easy for another parent...but was just trying to offer my advice..

Quoting JulesFairy:

Just curious how you know when the first terror begins. When my girls had night terrors it would strike at different times every night. We eventually figure out protein in their stomachs set them off so we had to eliminate all protein about 4 hours before bed.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

anikahaynes1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM

My daughter did fine with waking her up, I wouldnt turn the light on or anything, she has a night light, but I would just gently wake her up, speak with her for a few minuets and then lay her back down...usually she would be sleepy enough to go back to sleep, the key is to get the brain to "wake up".

Quoting vmoranc:

Well if it continues, I'll definitely give that a shot. How did your child react to you waking them up??

smushy79
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Yes, it is more than likely night terrors. I dont really have any good advice, just know that it passes.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I wasnt trying to be confrontational. Just always looking for tips and tricks. Even though my girls are past it now, it was six lomg months and if i can save another mom from that I will. Thats why I asked.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

From what Ive read, experianced,and what was told to me from the nurse, night terrors usually the first episode will start around the same time each night...like for example I knew at 2-3am my daughter would wake up having a terror, so I set my alarm for 130 for a week, and never had a problem since...I dont really know, I assume its possible that it wouldnt be so easy for another parent...but was just trying to offer my advice..

Quoting JulesFairy:

Quoting anikahaynes1:

corrinacs
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM

It could be a form of night terrors or perhaps sleep talking.  I do it too, and it cracks my husband up LOL.  Its totally harmless.

corrinacs
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, thansk for this.  My child doesn't have them (at least yet) but this may be wroth doing just in case.  I can only imagine the wracking of nerves thsee have on you LOL.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN