Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Not sure how to approach this one....

My dd came home and told me with such conviction, that aliens are real and the laser swords from Star Wars are real. Now she is the type of child who catches on to everything really fast. She's very mature for her age (9 in a month) so I asked what she was talking about. She proceeded to tell me in detail that her teacher saw an alien spacecraft. Multiple times. And the details were crazy. She said her teacher and her husband were eating dinner when they saw something weird so they went outside, saw 3 balls of light... The whole bit. And THEN she said her teacher is convinced that lazer swords are real because a famous scientist invented them and supposedly this scientist is good friends with Obama. I asked repeatedly if dd thought she was joking or maybe they were reading sci fi stories or something. My daughter is absolutely convinced that these things are real. What should I do???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I agree you should casually mention it to the teacher first so you can get her side it could be a total misunderstanding or taken out of context I wouldn't get upset until after I first hear the other side to the story and as for your dd I would just tell her that (since she clearly believes she heard the teacher say this) lots of people believe many different things and that doesnt make those things true. Tell her you are very glad she came home and told you about the conversation because it gives you a chance to give her your perspective.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM
This. Don't jump to conclusions until.you have the entire story.

Quoting GwenMB:

That does seem odd.  But I'd talk to the teacher first & see if you can clear it up.  If not, then talk to the principal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TroyboysMom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

First, I would talk to the teacher, just to make sure you have both sides of that story. If the teacher does confirm that she told your child that (Which would be beyond weird), I would schedule a meeting with the principal.

periwinkle163
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Ask the teacher what your dd is talking about, it's probably a misunderstanding.

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Seems like it would actually be more appropriate to start with the teacher.

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

I'd have a chat with the principal. That's not normal.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Ask the teacher before jumping to conclusions. If your 9 year old was "mature for her age" why does she believe a swords from a fantasy movie were real? My 9 year old would laugh, as she doesn't fall for stories. She hasn't for a long time.

Some people do actually believe in aliens. People do see strange things flying around with strange lights. I jad a very scary/bizarre sighting of something one night in McLoud Oklahoma. It was definately a UFO. Was it an alien? Probably not. I also believe the goverment tests multiple aircraft and does not tell the American public, so it PROBABLY could have been a military aircraft. But, it was so out of the ordinary and crazy.....it could have been an alien. One never knows.

Anyways.....Just ask the teacher, calmly and respectfully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJFBGMommy
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I know lots of nan-crazy people that believe in aliens. But they are careful about who they share their belief with. I agree with appoaching the teacher first. If she did tell the class that aliens are real and you don't believe in them, just tell her that you would rahter you didn't share that with the class, it goes against your beliefs. THEN if she continues to talk about it, I'd go to the principal.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM
I know I've seen a UFO. Absolutely positive.

Was it alien? Maybe. I live near Palmdale, CA and Lockheed~Martin Skunkworks...Plant 42 has been called the KNOWN Area 51...places that designed and built the B~2 bomber, the F117 Stealth fighter and the space shuttles.

So could what I saw be secret military aircraft? Absolutely...was it aliens? Maybe...

I would ask for a meeting with the teacher, maybe include the principal and ask for clarification.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:02 AM
I agree talk to the teacher first. This could have been a child telling a story in class and the teacher adding her 2 cents on to it or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM
I would talk to the teacher and find out the rest of the story. I have heard some tales since my kids have started school and it is amazing to me when I check it out! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)