Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Not sure how to approach this one....

My dd came home and told me with such conviction, that aliens are real and the laser swords from Star Wars are real. Now she is the type of child who catches on to everything really fast. She's very mature for her age (9 in a month) so I asked what she was talking about. She proceeded to tell me in detail that her teacher saw an alien spacecraft. Multiple times. And the details were crazy. She said her teacher and her husband were eating dinner when they saw something weird so they went outside, saw 3 balls of light... The whole bit. And THEN she said her teacher is convinced that lazer swords are real because a famous scientist invented them and supposedly this scientist is good friends with Obama. I asked repeatedly if dd thought she was joking or maybe they were reading sci fi stories or something. My daughter is absolutely convinced that these things are real. What should I do???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
doodles181
by Jennifer on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Definitely this!!!!!!!

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

I'd have a chat with the principal. That's not normal.
Danglmommy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I would want to get to the bottom of why and how these things were being discussed.

militarywife09
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Aliens are real hate to tell ya.
cowgirlsmommy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM
I don`t really see what the big deal is. Aliens could exist and I'm sure the technology exists so we could make light sabers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Meh, if your child thinks they are real and you don't, have her research them.  Sit there with her and look up answers to any questions she has.  Then let her come to her own conclusion.  

I don't see any problem with what the teacher said.  I might disagree with it, but it's not damaging or inappropriate.  

Tara922c
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I would call the teacher and tell her what your dd came home saying and allow the teacher to explain. Maybe she was just telling a story? I did a lesson plan a few weeks ago and told the students that I did not know how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and my mom was sick of driving to my house every morning to make my lunch. The kids had to work together to tell me "how to" make the sandwich. The purpose of the lesson was to introduce transition words in writing, and for the students to begin writing their own "how to's." Several weeks later, a few of my students still believe that they were the ones that taught me how to make a peanut butter and jelly and find it hilarious. I told my story so that the students would be more creative and would have to write details in order for me to be able to make the peanut butter and jelly. The kids loved it. I would hope most of the parents knew that I was just being silly, but if any called me, I would explain the lesson. 

frzmamaof4
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM
This.

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

I'd have a chat with the principal. That's not normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HH6
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I'm a teacher and that seems a little off to me BUT I also know that kids do come home with some crazy stories just as they come to school with some crazy stories. :)  I once had an older and wiser teacher tell me that she tells parents to believe about 50% of what they hear happens in the classroom and she will in turn believe about 50% of what kiddos say happens at home.  I teach middle school and even with older kids I have heard some CRAZY stories about things parents have said or done  that I am quite certain the parents would be mortified by .  Unless it is indiciative of abuse or something unsafe I always go to the parent first, not the principal, and usually there is a completely valid explanation and we all have a good laugh.  Just as those parents appreciate me coming to them first and not the principal, I'm sure the teacher would appreciate the same from you.

Perhaps it was a fictional story and the teacher was illustrating how quickly people will believe fiction?  And maybe lasers NOT light sabers were being discussed????  In any case, I would not go directly to the principal.  Always try to solve things with the teacher first. All that being said, it is a bit weird and if you don't get a completely straight forward and satisfying answer from the teacher, go to the principal.  Cannot wait to hear an update on this one because if the teacher truly did tell the kiddos that story in all seriousness.....holy cow!

LoveMyLos
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
How do you know they DONT exsist????

Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlueRay
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Well, mathematically speaking its impossible for there NOT to be other life somewhere in the universe. Now, if its visited us is a whole separate issue. Either way, it was an inappropriate conversation for a teacher to have with a student.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)