Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What do you pack for your childs lunch?

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM
  • 19 Replies
That is if you do pack a lunch. I pack a sandwich, then 3 sides. Today he brought a sandwich, a tangerine, string cheese and an applesauce cup. Does that sound like enough, or too much? What do you put in your kids lunch boxes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kiki_kat
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM
I think it depends on the age and normal eating habits of each child. Ds1 is 8. He gets a sandwich, two sides and a juice box. Ds2 is 6. He gets a sandwich, one side and a juice box. They never have been but eaters. They prefer to "graze" throughout the day.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Whether that's too much or not depends on how much your child talks during lunch and how fast they eat. I send less than that, but that's b/c I know my kids. Dd talks a lot and ds2 is a slow eater. Ds2 does not like sandwiches, so I send either yogurt or apple sauce, something to go w/ it, and a juice box; sometimes I surprise him w/ 1 cookie or piece of candy. Dd will get either yogurt or apple sauce, a sandwich or quesadilla, juice box, and the occasional cookie or candy. Ds1 does not take often, but he gets a sandwich, something like Cheez-Its, and a juice box; his adhd meds dampen his lunch time appetite, so that's enough for him.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM

My 5 year old wouldn't eat all of that, not even half of it. He's not a big eater though.

About 90% of the time when I pack his lunch my son gets chicken noodle soup, a gogurt, a juice box and a few spiderman graham crackers.  It's just enough food for him and he eats it all. Sometimes he asks for something else and I will pack whatever he wants but he likes routine so he doesn't change it up often.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

That would be too much for my dd.  I pack her a container of mac n cheese or soup, chips or pretzels and a juice box unless she is drinking milk at school.  I put money in her lunch account for that option.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM
A sandwich, a side and a dessert. DS (12) usually gets something extra, maybe a granola bar, apple or a Gogurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gotnothinonme
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM

If he's eating it all then it sounds fine. I do a sandwich and two sides. Usually turkey sandwich, an apple or an orange and some pretzels or chips or fishy crackers or something like that. She also loves it when I make her tomato soup and crackers with celery and ranch.

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM
My ds took a Nutella sandwich, chips, pudding and a water the other day! Mine is 8...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessednHappy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Yesterday I packed chili, fruit, string cheese, pringles, juice box and water. I think what you packed was enough. Sometimes I pack sandwiches and mac and cheese with fruit and some other snacks.

LilyBeansMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM
That is more than dd would eat at once but every kid is different. She has a snack and drink mid-morning then a sandwich (pb&j - always) and applesauce or something like that for lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM
My Ds is11. Sandwich or pasta salad. 2 juices, a muffin or similar, grapes, maybe a little packet of smartpop or something for snack.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)