Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What makes your child's school great?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM
  • 21 Replies
I posted a while back that my DS in 3rd grade was struggling with behavior problems in school. He was getting bullied and would retaliate therefore, labeling himself the bully. We did some role playing so He could practice what to do (per the suggestions from the post). It worked. I wasn't receiving any calls from the school and He was happy. So imagine my surprise when the district child psychologist called me and said she was working on a behavior plan. I was pissed. I couldn't believe it. I had heard nothing from the school I'm two weeks. Apparently, they had called her in a couple of weeks earlier. So as she explains the behavior plan, I think, fine, let's try this. I was able to talk to DSs teacher the other day, and don't you know, it's working! As mad as I was with the school, I realized something. My children's school is fantastic! I have nephews and cousins with similar issues and their schools don't work this hard. Those kids have been expelled or ignored. My nephew must attend a school for special needs. So even though I was upset, I have to say Thank you for their tireless efforts to work with us!

What does your school do that males it great?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM
It's wonderful that the did that, but they should have called you first.

Ds's school is wonderful in almost everything. I wrote a post about it. The pta is great about doing things and I am happy to be a part of it.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I'm so glad you realized the school was helping. School physiologists are heavily booked. In fact, the 2 week delay is pretty short!

My school is great because of the individual attention the kids get. Our administration and guidance counselors really work with kids who are struggling to get them on track. 

My sons' school is great becuase the teachers really care for the students. I know they are well cared for and have fun at school. The emphasis on academics is really preparing them for elementary school. 

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Im still trying to find something great about dd's school...We have been looking at other schools

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Awesome PTA, teachers, events

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

They still have Music, Art, PE, Guidance, Library, Computers...etc. They have an awesome PTA. The school has a "power up" program which is when they pull all the kids out to different classrooms for 30 minutes to work on something they've been struggling with, they use a 6 week rotation. They also have a program called 'lunch bunch' where they pull 3 kids out of their regular lunch and they have lunch with kids that have specials needs and use devices to talk. I absolutely LOVE that they do this and my DD volunteers as often as she can. (My cousin speaks with a device, so she is very comfortable with it)

The principal is very hands on and available. The teachers are fantastic and seem to want the very best for the kids and always go that extra mile.

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM

My son's school is adequate.  There is nothing great about it.

NCISfan2003
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Best thing about our school is that it is done at home, we can come and go as we please, we can pick our own hours, and we can do school even when there are snow days, in-service days, and holiday's

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The teachers, staff, and administration. Everyone really cares about the kids. They have always been willing to work w/ us on any issues/concerns we've had.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Pretty much the same as yours. DS struggled in elementary school and all of his teachers, student support counselor and principals were very hands on to help him. When he graduated last June, I had him write each one a thank you note and when I talked to the principal this year, I told him that it really took a vilage to get DS through school and I was very grateful. He is thriving in middle school this year so I sent last year's teacher an email thanking her for getting him to this point.

Teachers who care about each student are priceless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Nothing. I am about to pull my 7 year old and home school him. I think my 8 year old son with down syndrome could teach better than ds school.

My 7 yo unfortunately heard me say something along the lines of the school should burn down during one of my rants and of course said it to his classmates so one of the lunch aids mentioned it to me and all I could think is sorry your sad excuse of a school makes me feel that way but I held my tongue to keep from getting in trouble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)