Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kitchen Talk for December 9th

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 14 Replies

What does "from scratch" mean to you?

What do you cook "from scratch"?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Using nothing premade. Like my scalloped potatoes. I use real potatoes. With milk and flour and seasonings etc. Nothing from a box. Cookies is another from scratch.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Jen on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Not using pre-boxed stuff. Or stuff that you add a little water to and viola you have gravy! I call my cooking semi-homemade. I use packaged pasta, etc.

I make sausage gravy from scratch, homemade noodles from scratch, bread from scratch. Cookies, quick breads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM
To me it means nothing that was somewhat premade in a box or can. you use fresh ingredients. I guess the only things I make from scratch is chicken noodle soup, roasts, egg nog, gravey. I was never showed how to. Im going to try to make cookies from scratch.
angelyuna20
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

to me it means you make something without it being put together for you (like box meals, ricearoni, kraft mac n' cheese where the ingredients are all together you just have to add a couple things and voila).

I don't make a lot of things from scratch.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

No pre-packaged, pre-made stuff. I rarely do from scratch- I dislike cooking too much. I do make a chocolate cake and some cookies from scratch, and occasonally mashed potatoes.

gracie0221
by Gracie on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM
When you use nothing from a box. I usually cook dinner from scratch, but baking is done with premade packages but because I hate baking lol but love cooking
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM
From scratch means you use individual ingredients! :) I make mashed potatoes, lasagne, pizzas, etc...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM

From scratch means not using boxed mixes.

All meals are made from scratch.  Cakes are starting to not be from scratch as much since there are good gluten free cake mixes out there.

TroyboysMom
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

"From scratch" means nothing packaged or boxed beforehand - real ingredients without processing. 

I cook most things from scratch. Bread, cakes, pies, cookies, vegetables, meals...just...stuff. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM
All the ingredients are added by yourself to make the product. Nothing premade from a box or can, where you just add water ,oil and eggs.

90% of what I make daily is from scratch. I have become accustomed to doing it that way for so long its as quick as a mix, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)