Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Good idea or bad idea?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM
  • 23 Replies

My 8 year old DD loves gift cards - she likes to be able to take me to breakfast and pay for it. I thought about getting her a cute wallet and in the credit card slots put some $5-$10 gift cards for places like McDonalds, the movie theater, book store, etc for her to be able to spend. It could be a little expensive, but I think she will like it. Yeah or nay?

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Great idea!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Great idea! I gave my 6dd an old wallet of mine, and lo and behold, she's saving money in it!!!

smushy79
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Sounds great!

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Cute idea

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Great idea, but it would be a better learning experience for her to do work for money to put into her wallet. Kids these days have a harder time grasping the value of money b/c all they see is Mom and Dad whipping out a credit card to pay for things.

The gift cards are good for starter as a present but one dollar bills and change is a better learning tool. not only will she be able to practice her money handling skills by counting out the dollars while she is paying herself, she will tanglibly see with her own eyes how quickly money can be spent, and when it is gone, it is gone, and she needs to do some work to earn the money she is spending.

At Lakeshore Learning, there is a game called The Allowance Game, which can also be used to help teach money skills to this age group.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

Great idea! I gave my 6dd an old wallet of mine, and lo and behold, she's saving money in it!!!

Be sure to also teach your daughter to only keep what needs in her wallet and put most of it in her bank... because if she puts it all in her wallet and she loses her wallet or it gets stolen, she would lose all of her money. By keeping only what we need in our wallet, and the rest in the bank keeps her money safe.

(I teach this now after my daughter put her birthday money in a wallet $20 and the wallet has disappeared somewhere, probably stashed in some other purse somewhere.... and her response was "that's ok, it's just money. You can give me more."   Umm, no.)

aj23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this.
I volunteered for the Christmas shop at the school last week and the number of kids who had no idea how money works was unbelieveable. There were kids 10-13 years old having to put things back because they assumed their parents paid for whatever it was they picked up. One 8 year old had a $12 check and $55 worth of gifts and actually asked to call her mom because she didn't give her enough.

OP, I'm not saying your child is like the ones at the school but it seems to very common for the kids to think the way they do. Learning about how it works and getting to pratice those lessons is a great thing.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Great idea, but it would be a better learning experience for her to do work for money to put into her wallet. Kids these days have a harder time grasping the value of money b/c all they see is Mom and Dad whipping out a credit card to pay for things.

The gift cards are good for starter as a present but one dollar bills and change is a better learning tool. not only will she be able to practice her money handling skills by counting out the dollars while she is paying herself, she will tanglibly see with her own eyes how quickly money can be spent, and when it is gone, it is gone, and she needs to do some work to earn the money she is spending.

At Lakeshore Learning, there is a game called The Allowance Game, which can also be used to help teach money skills to this age group.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM
I think it's a cite idea. Buy I also agree with the other ladies on money as well.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM
I think it's an awesome idea! While I agree with the pps about teaching responsibility, this is a gift...it should be fun. She can learn after the holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Lol you mean you can't just print more? ;) and that is a good idea. Right now her wallet sits on the table where I keep my purse, but could easily be left under a bed, behind a dresser...,

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

Be sure to also teach your daughter to only keep what needs in her wallet and put most of it in her bank... because if she puts it all in her wallet and she loses her wallet or it gets stolen, she would lose all of her money. By keeping only what we need in our wallet, and the rest in the bank keeps her money safe.

(I teach this now after my daughter put her birthday money in a wallet $20 and the wallet has disappeared somewhere, probably stashed in some other purse somewhere.... and her response was "that's ok, it's just money. You can give me more."   Umm, no.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)