Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

switched daughter to a new school this year....now I kinda want to send her back to her old school...help!!

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

So we moved my daughter to a different private school this year b/c we were not going to be able to afford her old school due to me having a baby and plus, my husband didn't like the school(I graduated from this school).  Between daycare and the previous school's tuition, we would have been literally broke.  My daughter seems happy at her new school.  She says she likes her friends.  She went to a sleep over the other night with her friend from her previous school and when I picked her up she said that she wanted to go back to school with her friend.  I feel heartbroken and like maybe I made the wrong decision.  I have a new job, so we could afford to send her back, however, I don't know how to bring it up to my husband without  him getting mad about it.  When we first started talking about moving her to her new school he would get upset with me b/c I kept telling him that I wasn't 100% sure that we were making the right decision.  I dont know what to do anymore!!!

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Well if you can not afford it then of course you made the right decision. She will make new friends!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

How is she doing at the new school?

Based on the little information you mentioned above, I don't see enough of a reason to switch her during a school year.

NoahsCoolMama
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

We had to move my son to a new private school this year as well, because his old school's tuition was raised so high, plus it was 25 miles from our house, so we were paying $70-$80 a week in gas taking him back and forth. We switched him to a private school 10 miles from our house and the tuition was $1000 cheaper a year. He still talks about his old school. He likes his new school, but not as much as the old one. He absolutely loved it there. We have no choice, but to keep him where he is this year, because we just cannot afford his old school. I hated that we had to do that, but I believe everything works out for the best. You can bring it up to your husband. The worst he can say is "NO". I believe that everything happens for a reason and if your daughter is happy at this new school, then I would probably keep her there. It is not good to switch schools alot.  If you are not happy with her new school and want to switch her back, then you have that option, but with the economy so unstable these days, things could change again next year with you or your husband's employment, and then you would have to switch her again. I hope everything works out for you. This is always a hard decision!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you would feel better if she had more interaction with some of her old school friends. She probably misses her old friends and that is why she wants to go back.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Keep her at current school unless there are more issues you are not mentioning.  She can see her school friends from former school on weekends and on school breaks.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I don't think switching school because she likes her old friends is really a good idea. She needs consistency. Being in the same school long term is what will really help her. 

Amanda52007
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I had the same thing happen. My 8 yr old switched elementary schools this yet bc she's participating in an advanced program and only one school offers it.

When she sees her old friends, she says how much she misses the old school, the friends, the teachers, etc.

A few days later - she's over it and she loves her new school again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:45 PM
You did what was best for the ENTIRE family. Your daughter can obviously keep contact with old friends ...,she'll make it okay in her new school with a little adjustment period.
Children have to change schools everyday. They adapt, and bounce forward pretty quick!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jazmyn1
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:38 AM

my son has a best friend and we moved about 45 min away and I just make sure he sees him once a month. My son never asks to move back but does say he misses his friend but this seems to help and if you all still live in the same place and close to her friend then they can still hang out do homework together ect. why does your husband not like the school? kids are also in the moment she was with her friend and had fun so she wants that all the time prolly back at school she will be happy again with those friends

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree. She can still keep her old friends. Sometimes we don't get what we want and that's OK. The world isn't coming to an end.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I don't think switching school because she likes her old friends is really a good idea. She needs consistency. Being in the same school long term is what will really help her. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)