Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Surprised at lack of participation

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM
  • 50 Replies

So...I signed up to be Head Room mom in my DS's 1st grade class. We have their Winter Party coming up next week. I had sent home slips asking about donating time or items for the party. Also, we could ask for an option $3 donation. I only recieved 5 slips back. I am shocked! We live in a great school district, I dont think money is really an issue so I am not sure why more parents didnt donate an item or the $3. Now....I have to take all the extra money that is needed out of my pocket.

Is this common?

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofqtees
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Well people will probably send stuff in, they just didn't return the slips.  Just bc the school is in a wealthier neighborhood you never really know. 

matofour
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest is in fifth grade. I have noticed a drastic drop on parent participation the past few years. I think many parents (moms especially) have had to go back to work, and truthfully every dollar counts for many families this time of year.
It's been a drastic change in our district the past few years. We used to have an over abundance of parents for everything, now we are lucky to get one or two parents to help when needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smushy79
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Strange. I work FT and am doing it so I guess I sorta expected the same.

Quoting matofour:

My oldest is in fifth grade. I have noticed a drastic drop on parent participation the past few years. I think many parents (moms especially) have had to go back to work, and truthfully every dollar counts for many families this time of year.
It's been a drastic change in our district the past few years. We used to have an over abundance of parents for everything, now we are lucky to get one or two parents to help when needed.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this
I have been a head room parent or room parent 8 times. One thing I have learned over time is not to ask for donated items but to assign them. For eample, at Halloween I assigned the first half of the alphabet items to bring in. I think only one person didn't. For the winter party, I sent home a note assigning the rest of the parents an item. This way I get what we need and not 24 parents sending in napkins. Since I started doing this, I've had no problems or complaints.

If the parents aren't stepping up, the party will just be smaller. The kids will still have fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Imo it's common. Many parents forget and some just don't care. I hope more parents participate
momof3jam
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I'd send in a gentle reminder maybe with an envelope attached. And put something on there asking them to check a box of whether they are sending in money, sending in *something*, or donating time.

Otherwise I'd just assume people will probably send something in last minute.

matofour
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Some parents are not nearly as good as others at juggling a lot of things.

Is your 1st grader your oldest?

Quoting smushy79:

Strange. I work FT and am doing it so I guess I sorta expected the same.

Quoting matofour:

LilyBeansMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM
I work at dd's school now and am learning quickly that parents are way more forgetful than their children. Lots of reminding and phone calls may be required! In my experience it isn't about the money for most, it is just taking the time to make the commitment. Good suggestion about assigning from previous post! Then remind them. Again. ;0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Send an email with assignments.  It's MUCH more efficient then slips that can me lost in the backpack.

Maddiesmommy123
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM

in the past, my daughter is in 4th grade now and doesn't have parties, but there was always a hand ful of moms that always volunteered and it seemed like it was always the same ones, so id say yes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)