Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What are YOU doing to protect your kids?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM
  • 54 Replies

To me it is obvious that schools are NOT safe at this point. Even schools in safe small towns. We will be getting together this weekend and discussing how we plan to go from here but things must change. Many in my group feel that school marshalls or arming teachers is the way to go but that will take legistlative change which takes a while so we are looking at the right solutions for NOW. Fund raising for a metal detector or forming a watch group that patrols the school perimeter with the help of a few officers are some ideas that have come up. Personally I beleive training drills with students and teachers just like fire drills would be good. That way these kids have atleast SOME skills to stay alive. There are groups all over that are discussing this. The women's tactial association is having a national discussion with it's members as well. The obvious answer is that crazies will always exist. But making schools less of a soft target and making them more able to deal with this kind of event WOULD help the odds. So will you act in your community?

by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I agree we need to make schools a little more safe.

My DH thinks some teachers should carry guns. Maybe not every teacher but it would make someone think twice because maybe that teacher carries.
The unfortunate thing is if we do that, the tragedy will soon be forgotten and then the anti gun people will say we are making schools more prison like, Ect
But then comes were do we draw the line between keeping them safe and personal/parental rights.

I've went over keeping out of the line of sight with my child. Run zig,zag if you have to run. (which is sad, that I had to have that talk with him) I used to work in a clinic in detroit and I remember a police officer came in to train us on what to do.

We homeschool and I was really toying with sending him back to school. This was an eye opener and I'm really thinking maybe he's safer at home. Our schools are across the street from the police station but I'm pretty sure there's only like 2-3 people working at a time. (small town LOL)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HLmom89
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM
I was thinking maybe all schools should havr an officer or 2 to stand at all doors.
Do some sort of training on this like fire drills or tornado drills.
It scares me because my son starts kindergarten next year. And all i keep thinking is will he be safe, i live close to the school so i would be obe of the first parents there. But isnt school suppose to be safe for our kids when they arw away from their parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm not doing anything. I told my kids to be aware of their surroundings, at all times, not just in school. If something happens to listen to what their teachers tell them to do and remain calm. They did an evacuation drill earlier in the year so they know there is a procedure to follow, they know what it is and they must follow it.

I don't believe in arming teachers.

Anyplace you go has the potential to be dangerous...Gabrielle Giffords was shot at a supermarket...I still go food shopping. There was a shooting in a movie theater last summer, I still go to the movies. I still shop in malls. I still open my door when the bell rings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I have taught situatinal awareness to my kids as well. In fact we are pretty extreme about it but that fact is that most parents don't. And yes anywhere can be dangerous. I still shop and go to the movies as well. The difference is that I carry in those places. I choose to make myself much harder to victimize and that is why I think out teachers should have that right too.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'm not doing anything. I told my kids to be aware of their surroundings, at all times, not just in school. If something happens to listen to what their teachers tell them to do and remain calm. They did an evacuation drill earlier in the year so they know there is a procedure to follow, they know what it is and they must follow it.

Anyplace you go has the potential to be dangerous...Gabrielle Giffords was shot at a supermarket...I still go food shopping. There was a shooting in a movie theater last summer, I still go to the movies. I still shop in malls. I still open my door when the bell rings.

Due9
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM
I really like your ideas. I hope my children's school also has a meeting and will take extra precautions. Hell, id be happy if they locked the front doors. They dont even do that...ugh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I think we as parents have to be the catalyst here. We have to oganize the meeting and get the word out. We can't keep expecting someone else to fix this issue. WE have to step up, volunteer our time and effort and come up with a solution for our comunities. Schools are over burdened as it is. Parents need to play a role! And police do their best but they are always there to clean up the mess. Prevention isn't exactly their strong suit. As parents it falls to us to protect our kids, even when they aren't with us.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Exactly!! It's a knee-jerk reaction to want to do things to protect but, really, it can anywhere at anytime. It's like those Moms that don't want their kids to play sports because they might get hurt and then the kid is walk on the side walk and steps on a crack and breaks his ankle. We can't protect our kids 100% of the time. We cannot live in fear. We can teach them.how to react the unlikely was to happen.
Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
I learned that each classroom will lock their doors at all times. If a child goes to the bathroom then they must wait for someone to open for them.

Quoting Due9:

I really like your ideas. I hope my children's school also has a meeting and will take extra precautions. Hell, id be happy if they locked the front doors. They dont even do that...ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

My kids are all trained in self defense.  In addition to our regular martial arts class, we take free self defense classes that a friend of mine who owns a BJJ studio does twice a month.

My 9 year old who turns 10 in april will start going to the range with me.  not that it'll do any good in school, but she needs to understand how to handle a gun.

The school does a LOT of drills.  I ended up in one when there at an IEP meeting for my son's speech therapy.  We had a lockdown a few weeks ago that shut down the entire district and I was impressed with how it was handled. 

I have raised hell at the elementary school here that has zero security about a mental patient that is not allowed on campus but wanders over there anyway.  He is apparently related to some one in the police department so he never gets arrested, just removed.  The school didn't even tell the parents, the only reason I found out is I am friends with a staff member.  I brought this up with another parent and she told me he saw the guy jump out of the back of a truck while in the pick-up line.  Since I have gone to the school and to the board and to the police, I haven't heard of any sightings of him returning.

I like the idea of fund raising for a metal detector, however, the front part of our school is not fenced in or anything, and the school has multiple buildings on campus that you can get into from outside and also temporary buildings in the back that you can jsut drive up to.

Our community just voted to use mil tax to build a new school in a new location, it will be finished in 2016 with state of the art security and it will be just one building.

GagaNTattooS
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I will be seeing what my sons school is doing I love school Marshall's I want to see metal decatorswe will start boxing after break and I want to find a survival class for my son
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)