• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 6 Year Old DD Was Suspended!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM
  • 31 Replies

For kicking her principal 5 times yesterday.
I seriously don't know what to do with her anymore.

Right now, she's filling the dog bowls (which she thinks is 'yucky' even though it's dry food) and she's been doing schoolwork all day from a workbook we have here.
She will be cleaning the small bathroom today, helping me with laundry and writing a short letter of apology to her principal.
Also, she is grounded from the kids' computer until Friday, no tv till then, and no playing all day today.
I was going to have her help me with the dishes, but DH did them last night, so that's a big fat no, there.

Any other suggestions? I feel like she should have to do more to really pound it into her head that what she did was wrong.

TIA, ladies!

Mother to (IMO) the two best kids EVER born. I am a vaxing, corporal punishment (when called for!), loving, teaching my kids to be good, kind, caring, strong, independant people kinda MOMMA.
I am almost an LMT and love making people feel good!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Do your dogs poop? If so, she can come on the walk with you and pick up the poop.

ninamsi
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I would talk to the school counselor and see what that person says.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you sat down with her and talked about why she did it?  Open up a conversation with her to see why and what she needs to do differently.

young_lv_mom
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Hand wash the floors with her, while talking about what she did was wrong, along with why she did it to start with, what pushed her over the edge?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
housemommyto2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I dont believe in punishment, so Im probably not much help there. I do believe in discipline though. She needs to be taught the proper response to her emotions. You need a break down of exactly what happened. Then you play role reversal with her. Let her be the teacher and you the child. Show her what a proper response would have been to her angry outburst. Then have her copy you. Ask her, "What can we do instead"?

And Im not bashing, just offering advice.......maybe you should rethink your stance on corporal punishment.

frndlyfn
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

OMG that is way too much even for that offense.  That is just my opinion.  I would have just done 2 days of extra household tasks and the apology letter to victim.  And probably no tv/computer time for 2 days.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Is the school counselor involved?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sandiekd21
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

She sees the school counselor once a week.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Is the school counselor involved?

Mother to (IMO) the two best kids EVER born. I am a vaxing, corporal punishment (when called for!), loving, teaching my kids to be good, kind, caring, strong, independant people kinda MOMMA.
I am almost an LMT and love making people feel good!

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM

The punishments all sound fine, have you talked to her about why she did it and what she could have done instead?

mama2beautiesnb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Some of these responses make me sad about some of the kids who will be some day running this world. . . Op i wish i had some advice, but i've never been in your shoes, so here's a bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)