Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe I am just being over protective?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you be upset if someone (age 20) tipped back a clear bottle of liquor in front of your kindergartener?

Options:

Yes! Definitely no matter how old the person is

Yes, because the drinker isn't old enough to drink legally

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

So my son and I were playing outside when my younger brother pulls up into the driveway with his boss and they start drinking in the back of his bosses trunk.  My brother is 20, and I became really offended by the fact that they were drinking in front of him like that... I feel like this not only sets the example of under age drinking, but also drinking and driving because once they are done drinking his boss (who is over 21) will get in the truck and drive away.  Also, he knows that you have to be 21 to drink and his uncle is only 20.... I mean my son made the connection between the bottle and "beer" and told his uncle not to drink beer any more.  Could I just be overreacting?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambercates
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM
I wouldn't be that offended unless they were drunk, and acting crazy! I'm guilty of having a glass of wine or beer in front of my 5 year old! I just noticed you said liquor, I would have issues with liquor, but not beer!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM
I would be most upset about the drinking and driving aspect. That would not be ok at all.
Becka8707
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

My problem isn't exactly that they were drinking it out of the leter sized bottle and in the back of a pick up... I suppose out of a cup wouldnt have been so bad, or even in the back yard wouldn't have been so bad.... but out of the bottle in the driveway... with no attempt to make it not directly in front of my son

Becka8707
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Technically my 5 year old didnt see the drinking and driving, at the first chance I brought him inside away from the situation so he didn't actually see the boss leave after drinking...

frndlyfn
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I would be more upset about the giving someone underage alcohol and hten driving after the drinking.

PinkParadox
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM
It would bother me some, but we don't drink often. My kids are 5 & 7, and would actually have no idea what it was.

Quoting Becka8707:

My problem isn't exactly that they were drinking it out of the leter sized bottle and in the back of a pick up... I suppose out of a cup wouldnt have been so bad, or even in the back yard wouldn't have been so bad.... but out of the bottle in the driveway... with no attempt to make it not directly in front of my son

ambercates
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM
Me too!

Quoting PinkParadox:

I would be most upset about the drinking and driving aspect. That would not be ok at all.
corrinacs
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I don't know.  Depends onhow they were doing it.  The way you describe sound sa little over the top :/.  But I know DH drinks, but we usualyl wait until the kids go to bed for this very reason.

Becka8707
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I wait untilhe's asleep to drink, except for an occasional beer while cooking out or watching a game and a mixed drink while out

Jessica198027
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I have been drinking off and on since 18. Me my husband and friends all under 21 were drinking different beverages in the appartment and we were called in for loud music. A cop showed up asked us if any of us were over 21 yr of age. We all said no, we were all under 21. He asked who bought the drinks for us and were they over 21? We said yes, it was my husbands mom that got it for us. He said he could do nothing to us as long as we stayed indoors and drank the drinks and to keep the music down. We know it was husbands ex next door that called on us because she was mad the 2 of us were dating and all her friends were our friends too and were at our place having fun and she was not invited and she was over 21. So she thought she would get us in trouble because we told her she was not welcome because hse tried to beat me up before for dating my now husband her ex.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)