Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 17 year old son needs your help...........5 year old "in love" with him!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

you rockHi Everyone:  It's been a long time since I had a  year old girl (my daughter is 21 now) and I need help!  My son, a senior in high school, has his first girlfriend.  Girlfriend's little sister LOVES my son, as he says, it is nearly an obsession( writes him notes, draws him pictures, insists her parents bring her to every Varsity basketball game at the high school because he plays), dresses up when she is going to see him, etc.  (OK, now get ready for a brag, but it's true).  My boy is sweet, handsome, great student, leader at the school and very, very kind.  Here's what he asked me that I could not answer but I bet you ladies can:

First, he knows that the family will be inviting him for Christmas or Christmas Eve part of the day.  He would like to bring "little one" a gift but he doesn't want to encourage her.  What do you think?

Second, what, in general, can my boy do about protecting this girls feelings?  We really like the girlfriend and her family but they are just crazy about my boy and would marry the young couple off tomorrow if they could so not a lot of help there.  My boy just wants to handle this with compassion.

So, ideas?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momsalawyer
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Just reread my post, typing too fast, it's a just turned 5 year old little girl!

bellaamore
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Anything he o is either going to encourage her or hurt her at this point.

Just get her a gift you think shed love, and address it "little sis" or something... Thats all he can do.

It is innocent.

Summerlion1123
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Its just a crush, she'll grow out of it. Just get her a girly toy like a doll or something, same thing youd get normally. He doesnt have to stress encouraging or discouraging i don't think.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM
LOL I don't think him bring her a present will encourage her.
My brother's best friends little sister (that's a mouthful LOL) was like that with my brother.
He made sure he always brought her exactly what she wanted for Christmas and birthdays. Eventually she moved on to the next love of her life. LOL

IDK with your son and GF just take it day by day. Who knows they may end up getting married hopefully after dating for a long long time. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmeredith
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM

My brother is going through the same thing. The 5 year old probably likes him b/c big sister likes him so much & since big sis has him lil sis of course wants him. He could always get her a little stuff animal & a card or a box of candy.

K8WillBLast
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

My 5 yr old daughters friend is in love with my 13 yr old son.  I agree with the previous...I don't think getting her a gift is going to encourage her any more.  I think it's just a crush, she'll move on!

mamababies3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I think it's cute!

If he wants he can talk to his GF, so she can talk to her sister about it. Or she can address her parents about it.

calsmom62
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
If I were the girlfriend, I'd make sure I didn't stand too close to the edge of a cliff, little sis might give her a push lol.

Our older son went through this with our friend's daughter. He treated her like a little sister, eventually she moved on other interests. But she still thinks of him as a big brother. ,
Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I think it would be nice to bring her a little gift on Christmas. It isn't encouraging that behavior, it is simply giving his *possibly future sil* ;) a gift.

It's so cute when little girls are like that. I think it will be a problem when my dd is like that though. My sons are only 2 and 3 years older than her. eeeek.

Good luck to your son's decision.

chels210
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM
He can always address the gift as being from him and gf.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)