Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Missed school

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Missed school

Options:

Yes

No

Need more info.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

Do you think missing 9 days of school and being tardy 5 days so far in this school year already is too much? Btw its for no particular reason to miss. You also have already gotten a warning truancy letter.

I am wondering because of friend of mine has a daughter whos BM is having trouble getting her to school. I am wondering what you all think who have kids in full time school. I only have one in school and its preschool. he has only missed one day so far due to my csection and I couldn't drive yet.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
workoutmom2b1g
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM

BUMP!

workoutmom2b1g
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

BUMP!

ruby_jewel_04
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Yeah. That's an awful lot. My DS has missed 3 days from being sick. My DD has missed 2. Neither have been late except for doctor appointments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Yes way too many to miss for no reason.  DD missed 2 due to sickness (fever, vomitting).

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Is this YOUR kid or someone elses kid? IF and only IF it were my kids I would say no. Mainly because if I keep my kid out of school it is because she is sick. Last year she got sick a lot and missed more than 9 days. (every flu, cold, virus, infection, etc. that went around school seemed to find it's way to her). This year (so far) she only missed 2 days.

Kai has always been on time.....but there are days it is close. Traffic from our house to her school is absolutely INSANE. Hawaii was voted worst traffic in the country twice in 2012 and I live in the area with the worst congestion. There is no way to predict how fast we will get to school. I feel real bad for people who catch the bus. It is aweful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Here if a kid misses 9 unexcused days a year you have to go to court for truancy and every 3 tardies counts as a missed day so that would be way too much. After 5 unexcused days the kids have to go to school on Saturday to make up the missed days.

My son was sick and missed a whole week and I got a warning phone call on the 5th day because I hadn't sent in the doctors note yet. They only allow a note from a parent for 3 days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Without an excused absence, she is in danger of being considered truant. A school will take a dr or parental note for a tardy or an absence.

As they get older, there may be stipulations to contend with. My son is in middle school. You have only three days to get a note in the day they return. If you screw up, any make up work they did becomes a zero, so your child may write a paper and get two zeros from a parent not doing thier part.

Yes, it is excessive to have that many unexplained/ unexcused tardies/absences for a singular semester. Children have the job of doing the work in school a parent has the job of simply getting them there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaslilmen
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM

why is she having issues getting the little girl to school? is it not waking up in time or other morning routine problem? being late that many times is an issue and SHOULD be fixed

JonesMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I'd say that's too much unless the child has some sort of chronic illness or disability.

They don't do much for missed days or tardiness here. I have a neighbor with a 5th grade boy who misses a LOT of school, another neighbor with a dd in half day K that misses a lot of days, and a girl in ds' 2nd grade class that is tardy 9 times out of 10. I drop off ds on time, about 5 min. before the bell, and usually I get home and a few min. later I see that neighbor and her dd leave. So they're not leaving home til 5 min. or so after school starts...almost every day.

workoutmom2b1g
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Thanks for answering everyone. I got the answers I hoped I would! I just hope she can get her act together for her daughters sake!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)