Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to deal with a 6 year old who thinks she is 16????????????????

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM
  • 17 Replies

I am at my wits end!!!!  My daughter is 6, but definately thinks she is 16.  She has an attitude, smarts off, huffs and puffs, etc.  We have tried taking things away that she likes, putting her in time out, sending her to her room, talking to her, everything.  She doesn't listen at all.  I can tell her not to do something and she will do it anyways.  I'm not big on spanking, but I have spanked her a few times, then I get the glare and the hmpf from her.  Any suggestions on what I could do?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momoncall247
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

WOW, you have just described my 6 yr old.... to the t.  She is just like that! I love her with all my heart, but to call her a handfull is an understatement.  Maybe not so much talking back, but for sure if she wants to do something she'll just do it, even if she knows she going to get in trouble. I want to her be strong and independant, but understand that I am MOMMY and what I say goes!!  A few things, though, work to keep her in line.  I get her alone, just me and her in a room, no tv on, and we talk.  I ask her what's up why are you acting this way? And the craziest thing is that she has an explaination. Usually something that makes sense in a 6 yr old world. Sometimes I find that she is more difficult when she has not had enough sleep night before, also.  And finally if all else fails, her dad tell her to straighten up in that DAD voice and she does, pretty quickly.... maybe this will be helpful for you. I can totally feel your pain, gotta love motherhood.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Take ALL her stuff away and make her earn it back.

Make her go to bed way early and tell her the pediatrician recommended it because lack of sleep causes attitude issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I have two 6 year olds (yeah...twins...fun).  Anyways, here is what I do....

They give me attitude, I give them one chance to correct themselves.  If they don't, they have to go to bed 10 minutes earlier....which is a HUGE deal to them.  If they did really well all day, they get a start on their chart with different levels of rewards.  10 stars is watching TV 30 minutes earlier (it doesn't get turned on until 7 and only if their chores and homework are done.  15 stars is a trip to the dollar store.  20 stars is a trip out for ice cream.  25 stars is a mommy/me or daddy/me playdate.

I also use this with my 9 year old.  Yes, we get the attitudes but, overall, I think we have pretty good kids.

M4LG5
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momoncall247:

WOW, you have just described my 6 yr old.... to the t.  She is just like that! I love her with all my heart, but to call her a handfull is an understatement.  Maybe not so much talking back, but for sure if she wants to do something she'll just do it, even if she knows she going to get in trouble. I want to her be strong and independant, but understand that I am MOMMY and what I say goes!!  A few things, though, work to keep her in line.  I get her alone, just me and her in a room, no tv on, and we talk.  I ask her what's up why are you acting this way? And the craziest thing is that she has an explaination. Usually something that makes sense in a 6 yr old world. Sometimes I find that she is more difficult when she has not had enough sleep night before, also.  And finally if all else fails, her dad tell her to straighten up in that DAD voice and she does, pretty quickly.... maybe this will be helpful for you. I can totally feel your pain, gotta love motherhood.

I believe each parent has to be responsible and NEVER rely on the other parent to get their kids to straighten out because kids will learn that you can't be taken serious until it gets to dad. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Grow some mommy balls! You need to make sure DD respects you not just DH.

What "hurts" her? Not physically...but time with friends? Taking away screen time? Missing a dance class? Etc.

In my house, she would be workng her butt off. Extra chores, community service, helping the homeless. Learning LIFE ISN'T ALL ABOUT YOU.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM
I agree with you!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Grow some mommy balls! You need to make sure DD respects you not just DH.

What "hurts" her? Not physically...but time with friends? Taking away screen time? Missing a dance class? Etc.

In my house, she would be workng her butt off. Extra chores, community service, helping the homeless. Learning LIFE ISN'T ALL ABOUT YOU.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
datwins
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM

im having the same problem with my 7 year old and she dont listen and when when i ground her she has a fit and starts crying and having a fit and she is 7 she still shouldn't be having fits she thinks she could tell my other 3 kids what to do even if i say no. her school did a survey and it came back that she was depressed so now i need to try to get her some help. she plays the roll nobody likes me every body hates me i hate it i dont know what to do ether i need help2

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Do you rag on her a lot? I find that my kids get like you describe when I am unrelentlessly getting on their case. Then I look in the mirror and find that I am the one who they are responding to. They are at their worst when i am at mine.

PolishMamma2
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Yeah my daughter is 6 too. She only had 1 job to do and that was take everyones shoes from the door to the closet,, She told me I cant eait till im a drown up that way I dont have to take the shoes upstairs anymore,she said I want to do what you do! So I let her do what I do!!!  Ha, LOL! She doesnt mind taking the shoes upstairs anymore. As for spanking,, im not a big fan either (but i will if nessasary) I use the Mr. Miaggi approch. Sit-ups, Going up & down the stairs, jumping jacks ex... And if she is mouthy I make her repeat herself until she gets it right.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM

top for more advice and suggestions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)