Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nasty attitude....

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM
  • 25 Replies

So, looking for some advice.

My DD just turned 6 in November.  She is in K.  Her attitude is becoming increasingly nasty.  Very sassy.  Very nasty to her sister. She is downright MEAN.  Constantly talks back.  It's like she is 16.  But she is awesome at school and for anyone else.  All I hear from her teacher is raves about her being a model student.  So, why the differnce at home? I am so frustrated.  I am about 1/8 inch from not doing Christmas. 

Has anyone dealt with this or have any suggestions?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

What are her consequences from such behavior?  I would not take away christmas but perhaps priveleges that she has within the household like going to bed even earlier, losing tv time, etc.  Immediate consequences is what most schools use so need to talk to her teacher about their discipline methods.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Our children save their worst behavior for the ones that love them the most.  She has to be on her best behavior all day long at school and I'm sure that it is stressful and hard for her.  So at home, she is just blowing off steam.  I'm not saying that it is acceptable though.  

What have you tried so far to curb this behavior?

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Make her go to bed super early and tell her the dr said her bad attitude was from lack of sleep. Tell her she's doing it until the attitude changes.

Or take away all her stuff and make her earn it all back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I usually take things away.  Now, I do also sometimes randomly reward her if she is especially good - I can't remember the last time that happened though.  I have taken away her TV, I have taken away her toys, I have sent her to bed early I have made her miss birthday parties, time out...etc.  All used to work and she would be apologetic and straighten up.  Now I am getting her eyes rolled at me and "Whatever".  Tonight I sent her to bed an hour early and she said "Whatever, I am tired anyway".  I just don't even know how to respond to that.  :(

I work outside the home full time and nights are always hectic.  But I have been on vacation all week and it's just been my youngest and I all day.  Things are so calm and quiet and then as soon as DD gets in the car from school BAM it all starts.  I used to think they antagonized each other, but it really is my oldest.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What are her consequences from such behavior?  I would not take away christmas but perhaps priveleges that she has within the household like going to bed even earlier, losing tv time, etc.  Immediate consequences is what most schools use so need to talk to her teacher about their discipline methods.

snowangel1979
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM
DS went threw that phase. I used to tell him- Ohh honey, you must be crappy, I guess It's time for bed. After going to bed at 6pm or even 2pm, he got the hint to not act like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Make her go to bed early every night for at least a week straight.

Take EVERYTHING away. Clean the room out. Just sheets,blanket, and pillow on the bed and that's all. Take all her clothes and shoes and you pick out what she wears every day, etc. Do it long term not just for a day or two.

Quoting kngarber:

I usually take things away.  Now, I do also sometimes randomly reward her if she is especially good - I can't remember the last time that happened though.  I have taken away her TV, I have taken away her toys, I have sent her to bed early I have made her miss birthday parties, time out...etc.  All used to work and she would be apologetic and straighten up.  Now I am getting her eyes rolled at me and "Whatever".  Tonight I sent her to bed an hour early and she said "Whatever, I am tired anyway".  I just don't even know how to respond to that.  :(

I work outside the home full time and nights are always hectic.  But I have been on vacation all week and it's just been my youngest and I all day.  Things are so calm and quiet and then as soon as DD gets in the car from school BAM it all starts.  I used to think they antagonized each other, but it really is my oldest.

Quoting frndlyfn:

kngarber
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I have thought about this.  My problem is it's just my girls and I.  We live in a 2 bedroom hours, so they share a room.  I feel like that would be punishing my youngest.  If she had her own room I would do it in a heart beat.  It's the same reason I wouldn't actually not to Christmas because it is punishing the child who is good.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Take EVERYTHING away. Clean the room out. Just sheets,blanket, and pillow on the bed and that's all. Take all her clothes and shoes and you pick out what she wears every day, etc. Do it long term not just for a day or two.

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Sometimes others get punished as well. It happens.

Quoting kngarber:

I have thought about this.  My problem is it's just my girls and I.  We live in a 2 bedroom hours, so they share a room.  I feel like that would be punishing my youngest.  If she had her own room I would do it in a heart beat.  It's the same reason I wouldn't actually not to Christmas because it is punishing the child who is good.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have her write sentences if she is able to write words.  I personally would not take away all items since what does the child have to lose after that.  Sassing consequences could be washing dishes or washing the walls.  Tedious work like washing walls could help her reflect on how to better express herself.  I would also suggest trying to set aside 30 minutes for her after school that she can vent to you or be by herself to decompress from being around people all day.

kngarber
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:48 AM
We've not yet tried chores. I may try that. Thank you!

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would have her write sentences if she is able to write words.  I personally would not take away all items since what does the child have to lose after that.  Sassing consequences could be washing dishes or washing the walls.  Tedious work like washing walls could help her reflect on how to better express herself.  I would also suggest trying to set aside 30 minutes for her after school that she can vent to you or be by herself to decompress from being around people all day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)