Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I was watching the Utah news tonight, because we live in rural Nevada and thats what we get. They were talking about the teachers out there being offered shooting lessons and background checks so they can carry guns at school. This terrifies me! I understand wanting to protect our kids, but what about the teachers who aren't all nice? Im very concerned about my kids being in a room with an adult who has a gun when I'm not there. I love our teachers, but I really think there should be armed officers on school grounds instead. Any thoughts on this? Im worried this will happen here, and I don't know what I'll do. Home school is sounding very appealing lately.

by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
happy2bmom25
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I agree with you. I have no problem with an armed guard in each school, however, if each school can not afford a nurse, should we be looking into armed guards?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a good idea, IMO.  There are just too many things that could go wrong with teachers having guns on them at school that the benefit wouldn't outweigh the risk.  We have an armed police officer at our school during school hours and I am completely fine with that.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't be able to teach if I had to be armed.  I do restraints; my students are very physical at times.  There is no way I want to be doing a restraint and have another child grab the gun I'm being made to carry.  I know some say it would be voluntary but knowing schools as I do, if it was started for some teachers to carry, it'd soon be required of all, at least in my district.  

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this
As a teacher, I have zero interest in having a gun in my classroom.

I am a teacher, not a police officer.

It is not a conversation in my district in the least at this time. I expect it will remain that way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this

The day I feel the need to carry a weapon to teach is the day I am done. For the record I teach " in the hood" and I think this idea is ludicrous.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

As a teacher, I have zero interest in having a gun in my classroom.

I am a teacher, not a police officer.

It is not a conversation in my district in the least at this time. I expect it will remain that way.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Honestly if the teacher in ct had been armed, she and those kids might still be alive. Maybe its from being raised in oklahoma, but i see no problem with this. My dad and grandpa took guns on their gun rack on their trucks to school as did most everyone else. We didnt have this problem then...
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I also grew up with a gun rack in my truck and drove it to school EVERY day. The difference, however, is my rifle was to kill ANIMALS that I may encounter NOT people. That line has severely been blurred in the last twenty years.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Honestly if the teacher in ct had been armed, she and those kids might still be alive. Maybe its from being raised in oklahoma, but i see no problem with this. My dad and grandpa took guns on their gun rack on their trucks to school as did most everyone else. We didnt have this problem then...

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I'm not sure that I like the odds of a totally deranged lunatic intent on killing people, who is armed with a semi-automatic gun against a completely shell shocked, startled, shaking teacher who has a hand gun.  Think about that for a moment.  How many shots is this teacher able to get off prior to the gunman killing her?  

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

mama2beautiesnb
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Quoting mjande4:

where i live they still r used for that purpose. Go ahead and look up school shootings in oklahoma....
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Quoting mjande4:

where i live they still r used for that purpose. Go ahead and look up school shootings in oklahoma....

I know that this wasn't directed at me, but here ya go.  I'm sure that there are more too.

http://articles.cnn.com/1999-12-06/us/okla.school.shooting.04_1_wound-fort-gibson-middle-school-gunshot?_s=PM:US

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)