Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I was watching the Utah news tonight, because we live in rural Nevada and thats what we get. They were talking about the teachers out there being offered shooting lessons and background checks so they can carry guns at school. This terrifies me! I understand wanting to protect our kids, but what about the teachers who aren't all nice? Im very concerned about my kids being in a room with an adult who has a gun when I'm not there. I love our teachers, but I really think there should be armed officers on school grounds instead. Any thoughts on this? Im worried this will happen here, and I don't know what I'll do. Home school is sounding very appealing lately.

by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
I'm allfor it as long as the person has proper training. If the police dept sets up training, scenarios, drills, etc.

As PP mentioned, a lot of teachers/ school staff are prior military and could easily be armed.

That said, I'm a homeschool teacher and NRA instructor. I have no problem being armed in my classroom!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2beautiesnb
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Quoting steelcrazy:

have you ever been to oklahoma? Most people here wouldnt react that way. My mom, aunt, and uncle are all school teachers and i can tell you for certain thhat would not be them. Just like that wouldnt be my reaction if someone had broken into my house. Oklahoma doesnt have this massacre shooting spree problem. We also just enacted open carry in october... like i said maybe its due to being here all my life, but im still for it.
mama2beautiesnb
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Quoting steelcrazy:

you had to go back to 1999 to find where a teen shot 4 srudents.... how many can you find in other states since then compared to us? Im not saying it mever happens, im saying not near as much as in other places.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Quoting steelcrazy:

you had to go back to 1999 to find where a teen shot 4 srudents.... how many can you find in other states since then compared to us? Im not saying it mever happens, im saying not near as much as in other places.

IDK, I live in rural SW PA and it NEVER happens here either.  I am very pro gun, own many guns, have fired many guns and still have no desire to see teacher carrying guns in school.  Too many risks IMO and odds aren't good that the teacher would be able to save anyone, especialy since police officers in similar situations aren't able to save themselves.

Slain Pittsburgh Police Officers.

BTW - I didn't have to search far to find the 1999 article, it was the first to come up.  Google it, I'm sure that you will find plenty of others.  OK is not much different than where I live, yes I've been to OK, and I am not naive enough to think that random acts of violence can't happen here.  It can happen anywhere at any time, hence the random.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Quoting steelcrazy:

have you ever been to oklahoma? Most people here wouldnt react that way. My mom, aunt, and uncle are all school teachers and i can tell you for certain thhat would not be them. Just like that wouldnt be my reaction if someone had broken into my house. Oklahoma doesnt have this massacre shooting spree problem. We also just enacted open carry in october... like i said maybe its due to being here all my life, but im still for it.

BTW - it is no contest between a semi-automatic rifle and a hand gun.  The semi-automatic rifle wins every time, even if you think you are Annie Oakley.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Here's the thing. It DOESN'T matter if most people wouldn't act that way. It only TAKES one off-balanced person to misuse a rifle for tragedy to occur. There is NO way that anyone will EVER convince me that "arming" teachers, or any other civilians under the guise of safety, is a good idea.  I stand by my original assertion that the day I am asked/required/feel the need to carry an armed weapon to school is the day I am done teaching. It is also the day my own children are done attending.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Gaileey
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Quoting steelcrazy:

you're companring apples and oranges.  there hae been shooting in oklanhoma (with guns allowed and a smaller population) - there was a MASS shotting involving at least 70 people in a mall in oklahoma in 2010. - and also just this year a riot broke out at a lakers/thunders game and 8 people were shot because of the allowance of conceled weapons in the state.
 and there have been no mass/masacre type shooitings in  some states with large urban areas at all. (with a much greater population)....so.....

that's why it's being discussed as a one in a million chance it will happen in any school on any given day. Sad that it happens at all

......but arming 36 classrooms per school with about 10 schools per town across america - and you got a huge problems of lots of guns being put in a 'what if' situation on a grander scale. - hightened security OUTSIDE the building isn't being argues as good or bad cause it's a more peaceful solution.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM
I'm not responding to the different ppl as i'm mobile and that would take forever. Sorry. You will not change my mind. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. And yes, i realize it probably has a lot to do with my upbringing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanieSH
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I teach 8th grade and 10th grade and while I would welcome at least a litle security at my school, I don't want to carry a gun.  I teach high school kids who could easily overpower me and take a gun from me.  Teachers need to concentrate on teaching and leave the security to other trained people. 

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM
At least she could have had a shot. What was the worst thing that could happen? She misses and gets killed? That happened regardless!! At least she could have possibly stopped him from hurting more ppl. All you need is one shot. Im for armed teachers as long as they are trained. People who are trained will be much more confident in an emergency situation.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm not sure that I like the odds of a totally deranged lunatic intent on killing people, who is armed with a semi-automatic gun against a completely shell shocked, startled, shaking teacher who has a hand gun.  Think about that for a moment.  How many shots is this teacher able to get off prior to the gunman killing her?  

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Honestly if the teacher in ct had been armed, she and those kids might still be alive. Maybe its from being raised in oklahoma, but i see no problem with this. My dad and grandpa took guns on their gun rack on their trucks to school as did most everyone else. We didnt have this problem then...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN