Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I was watching the Utah news tonight, because we live in rural Nevada and thats what we get. They were talking about the teachers out there being offered shooting lessons and background checks so they can carry guns at school. This terrifies me! I understand wanting to protect our kids, but what about the teachers who aren't all nice? Im very concerned about my kids being in a room with an adult who has a gun when I'm not there. I love our teachers, but I really think there should be armed officers on school grounds instead. Any thoughts on this? Im worried this will happen here, and I don't know what I'll do. Home school is sounding very appealing lately.

by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Read this and tell me how you feel about teachers being armed.

Lurion
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Like they did in COLUMBINE?!?! Where the armed guard was shot dead?! 

Any other bright ideas?

Quoting JulesFairy:

The advantage to arming faculty in a school is two fold. One, gunman cant plan for who is carrying, Like they did in Columbine. And two, response time. It took twenty minutes for first responders to hit the scene in the Sandy Hook shooting. The response system was perfectly executed it just takes time for all the relays to click into place.

I personally would have stipulations regarding being able to extend you CCO onto school grounds including background checks and proficiency/ psychological testing every 6 months.

It may be because we are military and have a lot of friends who concealed carry or have guns in their home, but I honestly see this as a viable solution to the problem.

Ametrine
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

jen113000
by Jenna on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I agree.

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

The solution is not to arm teachers. They need to focus on not getting past the office.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM
My point in naming that one was that people said armed guards are the solution but since the shooters knew exactly who was armed they planned on taking that person out first. If the school had unknown concealed carry persons it would be more difficult to plan ahead for who exactly to target.

Quoting Lurion:

Any other bright ideas?

Quoting JulesFairy:

The advantage to arming faculty in a school is two fold. One, gunman cant plan for who is carrying, Like they did in Columbine. And two, response time. It took twenty minutes for first responders to hit the scene in the Sandy Hook shooting. The response system was perfectly executed it just takes time for all the relays to click into place.

I personally would have stipulations regarding being able to extend you CCO onto school grounds including background checks and proficiency/ psychological testing every 6 months.

It may be because we are military and have a lot of friends who concealed carry or have guns in their home, but I honestly see this as a viable solution to the problem.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I dont think that teachers should be "packing" but I do feel we need a school cop or armed guards. 

Hottubgodess
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Job hazzard.  Like police officers.  They know that any call could be that call they dont come home from.  

Quoting Lurion:

Any other bright ideas?

Quoting JulesFairy:

Lurion
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I think you missed my point. The point is that a guard armed with a pistol is highly unlikely to save lives (even his own) against an assailant armed with machine guns. 

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Job hazzard.  Like police officers.  They know that any call could be that call they dont come home from.  

Quoting Lurion:

Any other bright ideas?

Quoting JulesFairy:

jen2150
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

You don't just give a teacher a gun and some shooting lessons.  They have been allowing teachers to carry for awhile in TX.  They have to take a course in hostage situations and few other safety measures.  If you trust your teachers to teach why wouldn't you trust them to protect them as well.  I much rather have a gun in the hand of a teacher than a mad gunman.  I definitely don't want my children to be defenseless.  Btw the gunman didn't go through the office.  An armed teacher is much more cost effective than a fancy security system that in the end doesn't do a whole lot of good.

jen2150
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I homeschool for reasons other than safety. My kids are not any safer than any other kids who do not homeschool.  You never know when a situation will come up no matter where you are.  One reason my kids and I are learning self defense.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN