Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I was watching the Utah news tonight, because we live in rural Nevada and thats what we get. They were talking about the teachers out there being offered shooting lessons and background checks so they can carry guns at school. This terrifies me! I understand wanting to protect our kids, but what about the teachers who aren't all nice? Im very concerned about my kids being in a room with an adult who has a gun when I'm not there. I love our teachers, but I really think there should be armed officers on school grounds instead. Any thoughts on this? Im worried this will happen here, and I don't know what I'll do. Home school is sounding very appealing lately.

by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
susan_marie
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Very strong and emotional topic...

I do believe that the main office, should be armed.  In the recent tragitys that have occured, If the main office was armered, many lives would have been saved.  As far as teachers in the classroom being armed, that is a bit to risky.

LovinMyBoys0509
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM
I say arm them. All! I think everyone should own a fire arm and carry them. I would love for my sons teachers to be armed. I'd feel much better sending him to school then.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ohmandy
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this

nope.  i am a teacher and the second they start arming teachers i will take it as a sign that i really should get out of dodge.  

i will become a sahm and homeschool my kid.  look at the police station that was shot up in jersey a couple days ago?? guns dont keep guns out!!!! its failed logic.  i also teach high school... im 5' 2... i taught 9th graders that had a good 6 inches on me. no no no!!!

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I am all for teachers having the option to carry a concealed weapon IF they meet certain criteria. 

They must have a concealed weapons permit (obviously).  To get one of these you have to undergo a thorough background check and have taken a gun safety course.

They need to have a psychiatric evaluation done.

They need to take and pass a crisis management class to know how to handle a crisis situation properly. 

They must have some kind of registry with the school district so they know what teachers may be carrying. 

In states like Wyoming you don't even need to have a concealed weapons permit to carry.  And crime rates are super LOW because criminals have no idea who might me carrying a weapon. 

StephanieSH
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM
4 moms liked this

I think a lot of people are thinking of elementary school teachers but not about those of us who teach students in middle and high school.  We have fights break out on campus daily.  Hormones surging through the roof.  A lot of the kids are significantly larger than me and some of them are emotionally disturbed.  It's just not a good idea.  Too many things can go wrong on a daily basis.

story0702
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I vote arm the office staff and teachers .

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:49 AM

You can not force people who do not have handling/knowledge of arms in their job description to be armed.

Quoting story0702:

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:50 AM

You can't force professionals to be armed if they do not want to be.

Quoting LovinMyBoys0509:

I say arm them. All! I think everyone should own a fire arm and carry them. I would love for my sons teachers to be armed. I'd feel much better sending him to school then.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I continue to be absolutely shocked that there are A) people who think this is a good idea and B) actually believe this would be a deterrent to some psychopath. SMH 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

You can not force people who do not have handling/knowledge of arms in their job description to be armed.

Quoting story0702:

story0702
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting story0702:

it would of course have to be optional but as a parent I would rather know they are armed amd trained to use the gun . 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)