Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do your children set goals/resolutions for the New Year?

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM
  • 19 Replies

I personally do goals since they are more measureable than resolutions, however, I am thinking about talking with my 8 year old to see if he would like to set goals for this coming year as well. I normally divide my goals into categories such as work, education, home, fitness,fun, etc. I know that I will probably have to help him set his goals so these are what I am thinking about telling him.

Education- Improve his reading goal and be on grade level by the end of the year. 

Ways to accomplish goal- read an extra 20-30 minutes a day.

Work/Home- Keep room more clean and organized.

Ways to accomplish goal- spend 5-10 minutes a day picking up and putting away toys once finished.

Fitness- try a new sport/outdoor activity

Ways to accomplish goal- research different sports and activities and pick one to try.

Fun- I will let him pick this one out on his own. 

So, what do you think? Do your children do anything similar?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

No, I don't do resolutions either though.  I do set goals for myself and so do my children, but Jan 1 typically isn't the start date for any of them.  My children's school goals typically start when the new school year starts.  Their sports goals typically start when the sports season starts.  IMO, there is no need to wait for Jan 1 to start working on a goal.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

We never have done formal resolutions but we talk about what we would like to do better in the new year.  DD's would be similar to yours aside from sports.  She isnt into sports but i would like to get her into an afterschool activity.

JeremysMom
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

No, I don't do resolutions either though.  I do set goals for myself and so do my children, but Jan 1 typically isn't the start date for any of them.  My children's school goals typically start when the new school year starts.  Their sports goals typically start when the sports season starts.  IMO, there is no need to wait for Jan 1 to start working on a goal.

I agree. I start certain goals year round or if I finish a goal earlier than expected I might add on to that goal or start a complete new one. I started a new goal last week. I typically use January 1st as a way to review by goals over the past year or so, think about what I want to accomplish, and add to current goals or add new ones. I have already started on my goals for the year "2013". 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
DD already wrote hers down. I don't remember but were funny like get smarter. But I think it's good to have a goal to accomplish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Kids may set goals/resolutions, they don't always tell me.  I do.

family in the van   Mom of four

jen2150
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Every morning my sons and I set 7 goals for the day.  I would let him pick all his own.  My sons are 8 and 10.  I just give suggestions and tell them to make some cleaning goals, relationship goals, fun goals, learning goals.  I think it is important to pick your own.  

JeremysMom
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I like the daily goals idea.

Quoting jen2150:

Every morning my sons and I set 7 goals for the day.  I would let him pick all his own.  My sons are 8 and 10.  I just give suggestions and tell them to make some cleaning goals, relationship goals, fun goals, learning goals.  I think it is important to pick your own.  

jen2150
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

We just started doing it last week.  It has really helped us to stay motivated.

Quoting JeremysMom:

I like the daily goals idea.

Quoting jen2150:

aetrom
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:03 AM
I do not think you picking and telling him what to do is him picking a resolution! Mire like a family meeting! If you want him to present the idea and see what he comes up with!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

No.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)