Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here! Looking for ideas to help with reading and vocab for 1st grader

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hi Ladies,

My son is a first grader who is struggling with vocabulary and reading. I have considered buying the Nabi tablet which offers many apps to help with the above skills. Does anyone suggest something else? We are currently using SpellingCity and Reading Eggs but I would like more ideas. All suggestions welcome.

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Frye's sight word list is a good tool to help with sight words.

Is it word recognition or comprehension or both that he's struggling with?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM
I HATE sight words....that is memorisation,not reading.

I strongly recommend All About Reading. It is a phonics and rule based program and teaches by word families, aka groupd os words that follow specific rules. Each level of the book is only about $30 and the manipulative/tile set used in all levels is $30. Well worth it. You ay even ask if the school has a set you can check out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Sight words are important because not all words follow the rules. Part of reading is memorization.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I strongly recommend All About Reading. It is a phonics and rule based program and teaches by word families, aka groupd os words that follow specific rules. Each level of the book is only about $30 and the manipulative/tile set used in all levels is $30. Well worth it. You ay even ask if the school has a set you can check out.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Of course there are rule breakers. They are the exception. Starting with sight words makes kids lazy IMO.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Sight words are important because not all words follow the rules. Part of reading is memorization.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Although I really like readingeggs I can not see a tablet being worth it. I have a struggling reader and it is just taking time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

welcome  I have read to my youngest since he was a baby and then when he started reading he would read his own books.  He's in the highest reading group at school.  He's in first grade.  Teacher says to make him write his spelling words.  We got him the innotab 2 and llano getting him some games to help with math as that's where he struggles.

family in the van   Mom of four

Lslk
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

My daughter has this issue as well and we go to Mindplay.com. She does this during school as well. She has significantly imporved and she loves it. I have tried all the Leap pad stuff it my daughter likes it for a little bit but then gets bored with it. My daughter has ADHD and her comprehension is very poor. She is 7. As far as sight words go. I have been told by multiple reading teachers that they are important to reading. I can't remember why but I was also told this by the facility that tested my daughter for ADHD. I think it is because sight words form core words and even though with some kids it is memorization, it will help them read longer and harder words. Don't quote me on that but with my child sight words were extremely helpful for her. Good luck!

If you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!                                        skiing

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Chrome web store actually has alot of free reading apps for children.   We have one called the candy factory for dd.  It can either read for you or you read it yourself.    What kind of vocabulary is he needing to learn or do you just mean the general words he doesnt comprehend what the definitions are.

jen2150
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I highly recommend looney tunes phonics program.  It is $10 per month but is a great online program.  I used it to teach my boys to read.  I recommend that you don't focus on sight words.  Phonics is a much better place to start.  The majority of words are not sight words.  It more important to concentrate on breaking the code.  If you need more ideas just let me know.  Good luck.  Remember reading happens for most kids anywhere from 3-8 years old.  It is different for every child.  Make reading fun and your child will excell.  Do your best to make sure they don't learn to hate reading.  Make sure you keep reading together even as they get older.  

momofemy
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM
My daughter hates reading. : ( What is frustrating for me is that sometimes she will do it for me and surprise me with how well she can read, but mostly pretends that she can't read some word like "sad. ". One day her teacher (and she) was excited when she read three books. Then later she couldn't read any words at all. What's up with that? She is in kindergarten.

Quoting jen2150:

I highly recommend looney tunes phonics program.  It is $10 per month but is a great online program.  I used it to teach my boys to read.  I recommend that you don't focus on sight words.  Phonics is a much better place to start.  The majority of words are not sight words.  It more important to concentrate on breaking the code.  If you need more ideas just let me know.  Good luck.  Remember reading happens for most kids anywhere from 3-8 years old.  It is different for every child.  Make reading fun and your child will excell.  Do your best to make sure they don't learn to hate reading.  Make sure you keep reading together even as they get older.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)