Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son (7) will NOT wipe his butt after he goes poop. I have no idea what to do. It's so disgusting. Please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Make him wash his own clothes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

My 5 year old wipes but she gets frustrated and says it's because she can't reach around that far. lol I just continue to work with her.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start treating him like a baby and wipe his butt for him.  Along with this remind him of all of the things that a baby can not do, like play video games, watch certain tv shows, etc.

Punishment and humilation should never be used for potty issues.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start treating him like a baby and wipe his butt for him.  Along with this remind him of all of the things that a baby can not do, like play video games, watch certain tv shows, etc.

Too bad it isn't a "potty" issue, it is a hygiene issue.  By 7 year old a child should be quite able to wipe their own behind.  So if my child chooses to act like a baby, I will most certainly treat them like a baby.

little.worthen
by Tess on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Yea I already talked to him. It's own of laziness. He said "I just don't feel like it. Who cares?"

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Too bad it isn't a "potty" issue, it is a hygiene issue.  By 7 year old a child should be quite able to wipe their own behind.  So if my child chooses to act like a baby, I will most certainly treat them like a baby.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

It most certainly is a potty issue. 7 year olds are still learning about potty hygiene and some kids have a hard time reaching and it can be discouraging. Humiliating them can and typically does back fire and can make matters worse. But you go right ahead and humiliate your children and I'll continue to parent mine.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Have you asked him why he doesn't feel like it? My 5, almost 6 year old let me in on why she sometimes has stains in her panties. She said she has a hard time reaching that far and gets discouraged. He may not be doing it out of laziness(though I still dont' believe in humiliating over potty issues), it may be that he's embarrassed.

Quoting little.worthen:

Yea I already talked to him. It's own of laziness. He said "I just don't feel like it. Who cares?"

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

little.worthen
by Tess on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh sheesh. Sorry this turned into a drama post. Lets grow up a bit ladies
Paperfishies
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Treat him like baby, when he poops, tell him he can't get off the toilet until you go in there and wipe him, since he is acting like a baby, he will be treated as one.
You can actual get infections from not wiping well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little.worthen
by Tess on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Yeah this is basically our convo.

Me: do you need some help wiping?
Him: no, I know how.
Me: we'll then why don't you? Do you want some wipes you can flush? Those are way easier.
Him: no.
Me: okay well you have to wipe your butt.
Him: but I don't feel like it. Who cares anyway?
Me: I do. You could get a rash and smell like poop.
Him: well plug your nose then! Hahahaha
Me: haha funny.. But serious, you have to wipe, that's disgusting.
Him: okay jeez, can I finish my game now?
Me: yeah but I'm going to check and make sure you wipe now.
Him: sure okay.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Have you asked him why he doesn't feel like it? My 5, almost 6 year old let me in on why she sometimes has stains in her panties. She said she has a hard time reaching that far and gets discouraged. He may not be doing it out of laziness(though I still dont' believe in humiliating over potty issues), it may be that he's embarrassed.

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)