Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son (7) will NOT wipe his butt after he goes poop. I have no idea what to do. It's so disgusting. Please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start treating him like a baby and wipe his butt for him.  Along with this remind him of all of the things that a baby can not do, like play video games, watch certain tv shows, etc.

Punishment and humilation should never be used for potty issues.

Too bad it isn't a "potty" issue, it is a hygiene issue.  By 7 year old a child should be quite able to wipe their own behind.  So if my child chooses to act like a baby, I will most certainly treat them like a baby.

It most certainly is a potty issue. 7 year olds are still learning about potty hygiene and some kids have a hard time reaching and it can be discouraging. Humiliating them can and typically does back fire and can make matters worse. But you go right ahead and humiliate your children and I'll continue to parent mine.

Let me guess, your oldest child is 5, right?  There is a huge difference between a 5 year old and a 7 year old.  Not to mention that both of my boys were well past the "potty" (I really hate that word) training stage by 7 years old as are every other child that I know.  By 7 a child has been using the restroom for at least 4 years and if they can't reach to wipe, then I would be taking them to the doctor to have them checked for a disability.

BTW - my kids are 9 and 12 and doing just fine with using the restroom like the big boys that they are.  I didn't baby them once and I've not had to deal with baby issues in many MANY years.

supermomz25
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this

my son hated cleaning his ass while taking a shower so I told him if he didn't, I was gonna come in the bathroom and clean his ass for him and that he wouldn't like it. he dared to call my bluff and believe me after one time of mommy coming in and cleaning his ass he knocked off that nonsense and I haven't had a problem with him since.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start treating him like a baby and wipe his butt for him.  Along with this remind him of all of the things that a baby can not do, like play video games, watch certain tv shows, etc.

Too bad it isn't a "potty" issue, it is a hygiene issue.  By 7 year old a child should be quite able to wipe their own behind.  So if my child chooses to act like a baby, I will most certainly treat them like a baby.

It most certainly is a potty issue. 7 year olds are still learning about potty hygiene and some kids have a hard time reaching and it can be discouraging. Humiliating them can and typically does back fire and can make matters worse. But you go right ahead and humiliate your children and I'll continue to parent mine.

Let me guess, your oldest child is 5, right?  There is a huge difference between a 5 year old and a 7 year old.  Not to mention that both of my boys were well past the "potty" (I really hate that word) training stage by 7 years old as are every other child that I know.  By 7 a child has been using the restroom for at least 4 years and if they can't reach to wipe, then I would be taking them to the doctor to have them checked for a disability.

BTW - my kids are 9 and 12 and doing just fine with using the restroom like the big boys that they are.  I didn't baby them once and I've not had to deal with baby issues in many MANY years.

lol. My kids are 17 and 5. Not being able to reach properly doesn't automatically mean that they have a disability. I also didn't state that that's what her son's issue is, but I still dont' believe in humiliating a child for a potty issue.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM

If he truly is being lazy, then I would make a rule that no games are to be played unless he starts wiping better. It sounds like playing games is more important than anything else, including having a real conversation with you. I don't see that as acting like a baby. I see it as the games have become more important.

Quoting little.worthen:

Yeah this is basically our convo.

Me: do you need some help wiping?
Him: no, I know how.
Me: we'll then why don't you? Do you want some wipes you can flush? Those are way easier.
Him: no.
Me: okay well you have to wipe your butt.
Him: but I don't feel like it. Who cares anyway?
Me: I do. You could get a rash and smell like poop.
Him: well plug your nose then! Hahahaha
Me: haha funny.. But serious, you have to wipe, that's disgusting.
Him: okay jeez, can I finish my game now?
Me: yeah but I'm going to check and make sure you wipe now.
Him: sure okay.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Have you asked him why he doesn't feel like it? My 5, almost 6 year old let me in on why she sometimes has stains in her panties. She said she has a hard time reaching that far and gets discouraged. He may not be doing it out of laziness(though I still dont' believe in humiliating over potty issues), it may be that he's embarrassed.

Quoting little.worthen:

Yea I already talked to him. It's own of laziness. He said "I just don't feel like it. Who cares?"

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Lurion
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Seems like when I buy wet wipes, my 7 y/o uses them all up quickly. More comfortable. 

little.worthen
by Tess on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Yeah it is important to him. He has strict limits. 2 hours on Mondays and Fridays and that's it. So when something interrupts his games he doesn't let it go for too long

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

If he truly is being lazy, then I would make a rule that no games are to be played unless he starts wiping better. It sounds like playing games is more important than anything else, including having a real conversation with you. I don't see that as acting like a baby. I see it as the games have become more important.

Quoting little.worthen:

Me: we'll then why don't you? Do you want some wipes you can flush? Those are way easier.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Have you asked him why he doesn't feel like it? My 5, almost 6 year old let me in on why she sometimes has stains in her panties. She said she has a hard time reaching that far and gets discouraged. He may not be doing it out of laziness(though I still dont' believe in humiliating over potty issues), it may be that he's embarrassed.

Quoting little.worthen:

Yea I already talked to him. It's own of laziness. He said "I just don't feel like it. Who cares?"

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Hun, we need to get our kids together. You know where I am (;) ) , dd, 8, 2nd grade has similar issues. I have been telling my parents. I was bullied as a kid. I don't want to shame my kid. :*(
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I would take away the video game.

Sounds like he is not wanting to be away from it long enough to wipe. (just my opinion) I haven't had this issue yet. I left my ex just as my son was about to start potty training, and my youngest is not potty trained yet, but my ex told me that he had some issues with wiping and with accidents because of video games.  He didn't completely take away the game, but would hound him about using the toilet and told him that if he had an accident that the video games would be taken away until he became responsible enough to make sure that the accidents didn't happen anymore. 

It worked for him. 

I don't know that I would treat him like a baby. Unless every other option didn't work. Then I would yeah. I mean it isn't like you are humiliating him. It's a lack of self respect. He can get infections and rashes and all kinds of stuff from it. Maybe explain that to him as well. That if he gets an infection that the doctor might prescribe a cream that has to be rubbed on his butt all the time.

I'd go with taking away the thing that he likes the most to ensure that he understands how serious you are about this. 

^this is just what I would do. And will do if I ever have to deal with this. Good luck.

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

moroccanmommy
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Make him wash out his underwear. Make him responsible for it.

don't humiliate him...that's the worst advice ever. Talk to him about why it iS important. Ask him if he like yoi to show him how. Buy flushable wipes.

Tell him the dangers of poor hygiene
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Maybe since video games are the problem.. when he has to.poop in hid game time give him a 15min break, like stop the timer for play time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)