Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son (7) will NOT wipe his butt after he goes poop. I have no idea what to do. It's so disgusting. Please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Replies (31-40):
maybe80
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Are you kidding me?

Not going that far?

You're the one kidding your child by not being a parent. Take care of him. Wipe his butt and talk to him about the responsibilities of big kids.

Use baby wipes. They help!

Quoting little.worthen:

Whoa. Probably not gonna go that far! Lol

But the video game idea is a good one!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start treating him like a baby and wipe his butt for him.  Along with this remind him of all of the things that a baby can not do, like play video games, watch certain tv shows, etc.

maybe80
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I don't think that's punishment or humiliation.

Children need help. Even at 7 its ok to help keep them clean.

Reminding a child every so often that babies can't play video games or watch big kid tv isn't punishment.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start treating him like a baby and wipe his butt for him.  Along with this remind him of all of the things that a baby can not do, like play video games, watch certain tv shows, etc.

Punishment and humilation should never be used for potty issues.

momtoonein06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I agree with this. 

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

If he truly is being lazy, then I would make a rule that no games are to be played unless he starts wiping better. It sounds like playing games is more important than anything else, including having a real conversation with you. I don't see that as acting like a baby. I see it as the games have become more important.

Quoting little.worthen:

Yeah this is basically our convo.

Me: do you need some help wiping?
Him: no, I know how.
Me: we'll then why don't you? Do you want some wipes you can flush? Those are way easier.
Him: no.
Me: okay well you have to wipe your butt.
Him: but I don't feel like it. Who cares anyway?
Me: I do. You could get a rash and smell like poop.
Him: well plug your nose then! Hahahaha
Me: haha funny.. But serious, you have to wipe, that's disgusting.
Him: okay jeez, can I finish my game now?
Me: yeah but I'm going to check and make sure you wipe now.
Him: sure okay.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Have you asked him why he doesn't feel like it? My 5, almost 6 year old let me in on why she sometimes has stains in her panties. She said she has a hard time reaching that far and gets discouraged. He may not be doing it out of laziness(though I still dont' believe in humiliating over potty issues), it may be that he's embarrassed.

Quoting little.worthen:

Yea I already talked to him. It's own of laziness. He said "I just don't feel like it. Who cares?"

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Too bad it isn't a "potty" issue, it is a hygiene issue.  By 7 year old a child should be quite able to wipe their own behind.  So if my child chooses to act like a baby, I will most certainly treat them like a baby.

little.worthen
by Tess on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM
I'm big on after 4 or so bathroom time is private or if you need help call dad. That's just how we are. It doesn't make me a bad parent. He would be totally mortified if I did that to him. I'm not going to put my kid into therapy.
Keep your mean ass comments to yourself.

Quoting maybe80:

Are you kidding me?

Not going that far?

You're the one kidding your child by not being a parent. Take care of him. Wipe his butt and talk to him about the responsibilities of big kids.

Use baby wipes. They help!

Quoting little.worthen:

Whoa. Probably not gonna go that far! Lol

But the video game idea is a good one!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Just remind him each time. Then check him. If he didn't wipe, send him back in to wipe and then check again.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Treating a child like a baby because they can't or won't wipe IS humiliation. IMO, it's better to get to the meat of the issue instead. It's clear to me(after the op posted more info) that he considers game time  more important than wiping himself so instead of treating him like a baby, I would suggest taking away the video game until he realizes that video games don't trump hygeine.

Quoting maybe80:

I don't think that's punishment or humiliation.

Children need help. Even at 7 its ok to help keep them clean.

Reminding a child every so often that babies can't play video games or watch big kid tv isn't punishment.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

calsmom62
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM
You might try having flushable wipes and making him get checked to make sure he is clean. After a day or three if that extra step, he might learn to spend a little extra time wiping.
teri4lance
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Actually...this is a great strategy.
If he wants to act like a baby he gets treated like one.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Good luck!  My seven year old won't either

family in the van   Mom of four

sunflowers12
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM
It's kinda hard to do still at this age.. I would use the flushable wipes its easier to handles for younger kids like your son... That would be the first thing the if need be do it for him til he gets the hang of it.. its a dirty job but some one has to do it!!! Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)