Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My son (7) will NOT wipe his butt after he goes poop. I have no idea what to do. It's so disgusting. Please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Replies (41-50):
susan_marie
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Maybe offer him wipes. 

corrinacs
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Baby wipes.  I know it sounds dumb, but some kids just need a little extra help with the wiping and some children find the dryness of toilet paper painful.  Give him baby wipes or Kandoo.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I would agree with not punishing IF he were having TROUBLE wiping. He is not. He CHOOSES not to wipe, saying he "doesn't FEEL like it". That's not a potty issue. That's a behavior issue.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start treating him like a baby and wipe his butt for him.  Along with this remind him of all of the things that a baby can not do, like play video games, watch certain tv shows, etc.

Punishment and humilation should never be used for potty issues.

Too bad it isn't a "potty" issue, it is a hygiene issue.  By 7 year old a child should be quite able to wipe their own behind.  So if my child chooses to act like a baby, I will most certainly treat them like a baby.

It most certainly is a potty issue. 7 year olds are still learning about potty hygiene and some kids have a hard time reaching and it can be discouraging. Humiliating them can and typically does back fire and can make matters worse. But you go right ahead and humiliate your children and I'll continue to parent mine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:21 PM

It's still a potty issue and after the OP added more info, it's clear to me that wiping isn't the issue. The games are the issue. He gets 2 hours a day, twice a week and has become so addicted to them that nothing else matters. Humiliation isn't the answer. Taking away the games until he starts putting other things first, is. IMO, 2 hours a day of game time(or any type of electronics) is way too much and it's no wonder he puts games first.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I would agree with not punishing IF he were having TROUBLE wiping. He is not. He CHOOSES not to wipe, saying he "doesn't FEEL like it". That's not a potty issue. That's a behavior issue.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start treating him like a baby and wipe his butt for him.  Along with this remind him of all of the things that a baby can not do, like play video games, watch certain tv shows, etc.

Punishment and humilation should never be used for potty issues.

Too bad it isn't a "potty" issue, it is a hygiene issue.  By 7 year old a child should be quite able to wipe their own behind.  So if my child chooses to act like a baby, I will most certainly treat them like a baby.

It most certainly is a potty issue. 7 year olds are still learning about potty hygiene and some kids have a hard time reaching and it can be discouraging. Humiliating them can and typically does back fire and can make matters worse. But you go right ahead and humiliate your children and I'll continue to parent mine.

PolishMamma2
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Why dont you put his dirty underware in the sink with soapy water and let him Hand wash his own underware. if he dosnt want to listen to you, let him do things on his own, LOL.

jewel80
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
What is wrong with some of you? Maybe he is too embarrassed to tell you he needs help! Maybe its easier for him to get in trouble than tell you he can't wipe correctly! I have a 10yr old daughter and 6yr old son, sometimes my daughter asks me can you check to see if I got it all AND I DO I don't wipe for her I DONT HUMILIATE HER I help her!! And I still wipe my son BC he has a fine motor delay and aspergers and health problems and he can't wipe right, but I don't humiliate my kids so they feel comfortable asking me for help! My son also wears pullups at night still! Some of you sound way too harsh! Maybe try being a little more understanding and maybe he will tell you the REAL reason he doesn't wipe! Also pause his game time while he goes and remind him, this doesn't count against your 2 hrs so take your time! If parents would stop jumping to oh my kids is just being lazy or bad maybe you would find the real reasons your kids do some things! My son also still has accidents during the day and guess what his doc said its normal for him! He has a medical condition and can't help it! But I guess most of you wouldn't of taken the time with your kids to find that out! No you would of gone straight to punishment oh at 6 you shouldn't be having accidents so you're being lazy! When really the kid can't control it BC its a medical condition! !!!
Macksmom2006
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I didn't read the other replies, but my nephew was the same way (still kind of is) we bought him potty wipes (the wet ones you flush) that seemed to help. Also peer pressure from kids making fun of him

sammyreymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

My dd is 8 and we use flushable wet wipes and have for years.  It is tragic when we don't have them.  But it cuts down on the mess.

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM

We have trouble with my 6yr old doing a good job wiping.  We have the wet flushable wipes at home that seem to help a lot.

Make sure he is bathing or showering every night and cleaning his butt really good so it doesn't get a rash. 

My kids earn money for doing chores.  If my son gets streaks in his underwear from not wiping good enough I take money away.  I tell him he has to pay me to wash his nasty poopy underwear because it is gross and he is old enough to wipe his butt good.  He hates having his money taken away.  This is what has worked the best for us. 

danichaos
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Have him scrub his own underwear. That's gross
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN