Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice please

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM
  • 7 Replies
So MIL has a new boyfriend (a few months now) anyways he has two special needs adult children and he invited us over to watch the football game tomorrow and to meet them.

DS(6) was in a "role model" preschool class last year. Which means that half the kids have special needs and half are advanced. The purpose is for the special needs kids to learn from kids their age but I liked it because it taught my son acceptance of others.

So I wasn't sure how to handle the meeting tomorrow. I decided to tell DS that they had special needs so they seem like adults but they think like little kids so don't act weird around them or say anything rude like "what's wrong with you?" So today I gave the reminder speech and said dont say anything like "yeah, I know your special my mom told me I had friends with special needs last year." And he said "no ill just say hi your a normal kid!" :-(
Anyone have any advice? I know he wouldn't say anything mean intentional but any advice on this would be helpful
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I would just let it be. Kids don't know that others are any different until all the adults point it out. They don't see color, size or differences. My son is 4 and he called a man at the Drs office Mr Potato head. He had a mustache.  He calls every man he sees with a beard a fake Santa. Every bald man looks like Daddy no matter what color his skin is or how tall they are. I also teach my kids that if they have a question to ask. My grandmother told me that when someone is "different" don't stare at them most times they don't mind telling you why. She only had one leg and she loved to help educate the kids on why she had one leg and how we are all different. Just my feelings. 

Lindsayhoy0612
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Your probably right... I tend to over think things
corrinacs
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I agree with her.  My son doesn't know much about differences etiher.  He may comment on them, but never in a mean or demaning way.  He has some friends that are african american and he says "his frind with brown skin"......he sees the difference, but he doesn't know either way, good or bad, what those differences mean.

He also saw someone walking around with an oxygen tank. Granted, he's had such bad asthma that he also had to ahve an oxygen tank.  But if he sees someone with tubes or other special devices, he calls them "cyborgs".  And he talks about how cool they are :)

Quoting Jessiejack:

I would just let it be. Kids don't know that others are any different until all the adults point it out. They don't see color, size or differences. My son is 4 and he called a man at the Drs office Mr Potato head. He had a mustache.  He calls every man he sees with a beard a fake Santa. Every bald man looks like Daddy no matter what color his skin is or how tall they are. I also teach my kids that if they have a question to ask. My grandmother told me that when someone is "different" don't stare at them most times they don't mind telling you why. She only had one leg and she loved to help educate the kids on why she had one leg and how we are all different. Just my feelings. 

Lindsayhoy0612
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM
My sister married a black man and he had two kids so when I was pregnant I asked who he thought the baby would look like and e said she was going to be black because half his family is black lol it was cute I explained that mommy and daddy are both white and he said but grandma is black(MIL over does the tanning beds lol)

Quoting corrinacs:

I agree with her.  My son doesn't know much about differences etiher.  He may comment on them, but never in a mean or demaning way.  He has some friends that are african american and he says "his frind with brown skin"......he sees the difference, but he doesn't know either way, good or bad, what those differences mean.

He also saw someone walking around with an oxygen tank. Granted, he's had such bad asthma that he also had to ahve an oxygen tank.  But if he sees someone with tubes or other special devices, he calls them "cyborgs".  And he talks about how cool they are :)

Quoting Jessiejack:

PolishMamma2
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I wouldnt worry too much about it since he is used to being around people with special needs.

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM
You over explained it, i'm afraid .
It would have been enough to say :these adults are what some of your classmates will be like. You treat them the the respect of any adult, but answer their question like you would your classmates.
GUTTADABOSSLADI
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I'm pretty sure if he was in a similar environment with physically handicapped people he is older enough to understand the difference of what you are explaining to him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)