Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 year old wants a Facebook Page

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 62 Replies

"But all my friends have it!"

"I want to be able to play games with my friends"

Okay, these are just a few whiny examples that have been topic of choice at my house.  What is an appropriate age for a child to have a facebook?  Am I being to strict in telling him no?

Opinions, Ladys Please

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I believe the age limit is supposed to be 13. I personally hope FB is a thing of the past before my kids hit the teens. I don't want mine on there.

LittleBirdFly
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I think you have to be 14 to sign up. Eveyin whos younger and is there lied about their age. I would not allow it at 11.

And dont most of thoese games cost money on fb anyways?

susan_marie
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Most games are free on face book. And he is usually on mine anyway.  I just don't like the whole, all my friends have ie... in which they do not.  I have none their mothers for years

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM
5 moms liked this

You have to be 13 to have a FB page according to the guidelines set up by FB.  END OF ARGUEMENT. The "everybody had it/does it" arguement doesn't work here.  I make the rules for this house, not everybody.

pinkysmommy720
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM
11 is too young, IMO. Plus the minimum age is 13. My oldest (14) has one and he got bored with it after 2 weeks..lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paolap
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM
7 moms liked this

I showed my DD where it said that you have to be at least 13 to sign up for an account. I also stole an idea from a friend - she told her DS that he had to write a 5 paragraph essay about social media. Not only does she have to show me in her own words that she understands both the benefits and the pitfalls but she also has to persuade me that this would be a good idea for her, how to react when someone who she should not be friends with attempts to friend her, basically prove to me that she is mature enough to handle a fb account. DD turned 13 in November and has not even drafted her essay. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

My daughter turned 13 in May and just got a page over Thanksgiving. I wanted her "deep" into junior high before she had one. I let her see some of her friends embroiled in "Facebook drama" and what can happen before I let her have one. She is in the 8th grade and I think it's an appropriate time. It's just REALLY important that when you do decide its the right time, that your child understands the potential ramifications from social media.

calsmom62
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Just say no. She can wait until she is ready for an online presence, and she won't have to practice deceit to sign up for one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I would wait till my kids are 13 or 14.

calsmom62
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM
None if my kids from 28to11 have Fb. The oldest got one when it was restricted to college andbhigh school and deemed it stupid after it went open, the second oldest deemed it stupid after a gf played out the relationship on her page, and the 14 yr old hasn't shown an interest, the 11 yr old knows better than to ask.

Quoting paolap:

I showed my DD where it said that you have to be at least 13 to sign up for an account. I also stole an idea from a friend - she told her DS that he had to write a 5 paragraph essay about social media. Not only does she have to show me in her own words that she understands both the benefits and the pitfalls but she also has to persuade me that this would be a good idea for her, how to react when someone who she should not be friends with attempts to friend her, basically prove to me that she is mature enough to handle a fb account. DD turned 13 in November and has not even drafted her essay. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)