Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

giving my 5 y/o ds metamucil... UPDATE

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
  • 17 Replies

so ds has problems when it comes to pooping... mostly that he holds it in till ends up in his underwear "just marks" and hurts to poop.  it was suggested to try metamucil.  now, ds is GREAT with medicine... well even HE hates the stuff and calls the undisolved powder "polka dots" haha.

i found some orange gatorade so we'll try that tomorrow. 

UPDATE: he went today... with minimal screaming!!! haha.  the screaming was more of a "i dont want to go" not a pain scream haha.  

i think he could also use more water in his diet... that is part of the plan too.  great start to 2013 haha.

pregnancy due date

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a06z08mama
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM
My DD has been on Miralax for 5 years. And I have figured out why she has her bowel issues. But I have to continue the Miralax because her dad refuses to get on board for her diet changes.

Hopefully it will help!! What about the sugar free Hawaiian Punch Orange packets for water bottles? DS loves those!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ohmandy
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM

those sound like a good idea, i'll have to look for them next time we get to the store!!!

Quoting a06z08mama:

My DD has been on Miralax for 5 years. And I have figured out why she has her bowel issues. But I have to continue the Miralax because her dad refuses to get on board for her diet changes.

Hopefully it will help!! What about the sugar free Hawaiian Punch Orange packets for water bottles? DS loves those!

a06z08mama
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
They are by the crystal light packets thing in our store. Also. What about benefiber? I've tried it with DD. But she got bloated and bad gas with it. So I stopped it. But I am thinking about starting it back up and cooking into supper. Since I think all of us could use more fiber in our diets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to suggest miralax as well rather than metamucil  or benefiber to help.  He may also be old enough to use the fiber gummies in vitamin aisle.  Talk to doctor though before trying those.

hriabywx4
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
We use the benifiber gummies. One a day. We tried other stuff but those seem to work the best for us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joshlor2
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Have you thought about giving him a daily brownie? Fiber one makes fiber brownies and my dd loves them. She gets one a day with her lunch and it has helped.
ohmandy
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

thats a good idea... i used to eat them while dieting haha.  but didnt even think of them for ds!!! thanks :)

Quoting joshlor2:

Have you thought about giving him a daily brownie? Fiber one makes fiber brownies and my dd loves them. She gets one a day with her lunch and it has helped.

doodles181
by Jennifer on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Try miralax...my son had the same problem and this has fixed it...if he misses a dose the constipation comes back...and Miralax has no taste....I have used it in water and it really has no taste...
hwifeandmom
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We like the new Metamucil in the BLUE bottle (Clear-and-Natural, with Inulin).  The active ingredient is plant based.  It requires only a small dose (1 tsp vs 2 Tblspn Miralax) and is completely flavorless, even mixed in water. My daughter has severe bowel issues, and we've had great success with the new Metamucil.  We've tried the other stool softeners, and they've worked, too.  We just like the new Metamucil because of the flavor (or lack of flavor)!

Hottubgodess
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM

find out why your kiddo cant go.  Usually a small dietary change and adding probiotics helps.  :)  

Quoting ohmandy:

so ds has problems when it comes to pooping... mostly that he holds it in till ends up in his underwear "just marks" and hurts to poop.  it was suggested to try metamucil.  now, ds is GREAT with medicine... well even HE hates the stuff and calls the undisolved powder "polka dots" haha.

i found some orange gatorade so we'll try that tomorrow. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN