Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

UGH!! *vent*

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

My boys are 4 and 6, and their dad and I are split. We are SUPPOSED to have joint custody which by defination is 7 nights spent with him out of 14....he has them for 4 out of 14. And no child support. Part of the agreement was the boys go to school where I live, and on holiday breaks he takes them. The last two holiday breaks I've had them most of the time. If he can't find a babysitter for the holiday break, it's my fault and I just have to take them (ok not that I really mind but not the point)

He knows my oldest has homework for kindergarten. Ok it's very simple stuff (practice writing your name, practice counting to 50, draw a picture, help with supper, help with a chore at home, ect.) but he never asks for what homework is for the weekend. The one time I did give him specific what homework was for that weekend it didnt even get done!

All over on his and his fiance's facebook is bragging about what electronics they are playing with (daddies phone, wii 2, psp, watching dvd's). No wonder they don't want to come home to my house! I actually have them do homework and study! I sent a folder with a few flash cards and a book that he needs to practice, He's behind on reading from the rest of his class.The flash cards are "sight words" he should be able to look at and reconize. Out of 33 he knows 11.  But I highly doubt they are working with him at all. When I told him I put a folder in the medicine bag we pass back and forth he just looked at me as if I had two heads.

And he wonders why I don't think the kids should be going to school with him. Ok rant over

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM

That's really tough...wish I had some great advice, but I don't know what would help. He probably just won't listen. So just sending sympathy...

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you need to revisit the custody agreement.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs to you.   He definitely needs to take the schooling seriously.  Does the childs teacher assign the weekend homework or do you?  I wonder if a strongly worded note from the teacher would make the ex take things more seriously.  It is obvious you are doing your best to keep on top of the material.  Heck with all those fancy electronics he could dl some learning apps for him to play for counting and sight words.

GotSomeKids
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Does he go to the parent teacher conference so he can get a better understanding on why this is so important?

mommaslilmen
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:36 PM

that was in early september and no he didnt go. when i told him about it he acted all suprised that there even was one

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Does he go to the parent teacher conference so he can get a better understanding on why this is so important?

BabyFetus Ticker

mommaslilmen
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

the teacher assigns a months worth of homework and then sends it home. We already completed the homework for December, so the folder just had flash cards that need worked on and a book for him to read that has many of his sight words in it.

and yes he COULD have some fancy apps, my kindle fire has tons of learning apps for the boys to play (i think there are more apps for them than me actually) but its one of those things that i know he doesnt. As for the note, i doubt it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Hugs to you.   He definitely needs to take the schooling seriously.  Does the childs teacher assign the weekend homework or do you?  I wonder if a strongly worded note from the teacher would make the ex take things more seriously.  It is obvious you are doing your best to keep on top of the material.  Heck with all those fancy electronics he could dl some learning apps for him to play for counting and sight words.

BabyFetus Ticker

mommaslilmen
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

trust me, the thought has been in my head. I'm going to talk to someone about it this week

Quoting steelcrazy:

Sounds like you need to revisit the custody agreement.

BabyFetus Ticker

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM

wow that is an intense program for kindergartener.  Yup  Guys dont typically think about school stuff on their fancy toys.  I have tons of stuff on lap top for dd as well on my nook.  She is 6.  We are struggling with handwriting though.  She hates to write anything and has had 3 journals to do this winter break.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

the teacher assigns a months worth of homework and then sends it home. We already completed the homework for December, so the folder just had flash cards that need worked on and a book for him to read that has many of his sight words in it.

and yes he COULD have some fancy apps, my kindle fire has tons of learning apps for the boys to play (i think there are more apps for them than me actually) but its one of those things that i know he doesnt. As for the note, i doubt it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

mommaslilmen
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

There's not many actual writing things for the month. and they are only actually expected to do 12 out of the 30/31. But since most of them are "talk about this" or "help with" "read a bedtime story" "count to x number" "think of x number of words that start with ___" there's no real need not to do more than 12. Every month there is one "pratice your name 5 times" and "practice writing numbers x through x"

Quoting frndlyfn:

wow that is an intense program for kindergartener.  Yup  Guys dont typically think about school stuff on their fancy toys.  I have tons of stuff on lap top for dd as well on my nook.  She is 6.  We are struggling with handwriting though.  She hates to write anything and has had 3 journals to do this winter break.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

Quoting frndlyfn:

BabyFetus Ticker

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM

True.  I reread it and alot of them are life skills/ family oriented type things.   For kinder all dd had was book a day to read 30 minutes a night and occasionally any work she did not complete in school 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN