Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Ugh my oldest daughter is eight and I have been having problems with the back talking and getting major attitude from her.. Tonight we went out to eat and since its new years eve they were getting a gift afterwards. Well the attitude kicked insurer several warnings she was told she lost the privilege of her gift.. It was so hard to walk out of the store and seeing her so sad but for the first time I stuck to my guns but broke my heart!! Anybody else going through this what type of discipline seems to work the best...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Replies (11-12):
WritingMom777
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

We have this a little bit (and have for awhile).  Not serious issue as DS is really a super sweet kid but when he feels frustrated from school - he has a learning disability that makes his day really hard - then that comes out as bad attitude.  Honestly, we try to focus on praising him heavily when he is able to manage his emotions.  Also, after all the emotions have settled down (both ours and theirs) we talk about how DS could have handled a situation better.  Because some of this is training our kids how to handle disappointments and when things don't go their way.  I have to sometimes remind DH that his behavior when he is upset is watched by our son.  And DH definitely has a temper!  But yes, sometimes we have taken away a priviledge if the attitude did not stop.  And DS was sad but he definitely understood why we had to follow through.

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Sticking to your guns and being consistent is the hardest thing ever sometimes. It is also something that works over the long term as long as you do it right. I agree with everyone else, at her age one warning is enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN