Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Update 3* Update 2*Edit* Advice please DS too scared to sleep in his room

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 41 Replies
So DS is 6 and still sleeping in our bed!! He screams in his room that he's scared... He's scared of everything... Bad guys, big foot, a fire I know I don't enforce him sleeping in his bed because I feel awful that he's so scared!!!

*i told him this morning that it is a new year and in 2013 he is going to start sleeping in his bed like a big boy.... He started crying but I didn't want to spring it on him right before bed. I'm worried because school starts tomorrow and I don't want him up all night crying and be tired for school :-( wish me luck!!*

*so I felt bad and I decided we would work to sleeping in his bed. So I told him if he stayed all night on the couch(get him uses to sleeping alone) for the rest of the week we would get a prize on Friday.... Came in my bed sometime between nursing session and went all the way against the wall so I didn't even notice he was in there until DH pointed it out*

DS went to the doctors yesterday and it was brought up his sleep issues.... The doctor talked to him about sleeping in his bed and last night he did!!! And stayed there ALL NIGHT!!! He even said he woke up a few times but didn't come in my bed!! So proud of him!! He got up for school with no problem this morning.... DH is with him tonight(I have class) so fingers crossed he sticks to his guns
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybabytristan
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Wish I could help...my son is 8 and the same way. I'm doomed to be single until he moves out lol
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Have you talked about him for the emergency plans of a fire, what to do, who to call , etc?  Show him that the windows are secured in his room and look through the whole room for any possible big foots.  I wonder if monster spray would work with him.   If nothing else put his mattress on floor  somewhere closer to your room but not in your room.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM
my son is the same way. our rule is he has to fall asleep in his room but if he wakes up scared he can sleep on our floor. knowing he has that security helips.
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM
We've tried getting him to sleep on the couch as a first step and he cried and won't be able to "snuggle" me.... It's great birth control but I hate finding a baby sitter just to have sex lol
Sj218
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Me too. My 9y/o son will only sleep with me. I've nearly forgotten what it would be like to share my bed with an adult.

Quoting mybabytristan:

Wish I could help...my son is 8 and the same way. I'm doomed to be single until he moves out lol

Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM
This is not reassuring guys lol.... We've tried the "you can come in if you have a bad dream" but he comes in 10 mins after we put him to bed rubbing his eyes claiming he had a bad dream
thebailiffs
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Try leaving a low lite light on. Then have night lights in the hallway that lead to the bathroom and your room. Then ask him what else he needs becuase he must sleep in his room. Make sure he is tired before bed. We put music on with a timer. What ever it takes to make the room comfortable. 

Then when he wakes crying comfort him,  but don't allow him to sleep anywhere else. 

It is the same thing we had to do at 2 yrs old. Now our son sleeps in his own bed every night. 

It is really important to train him to sleep in his own room. It is the only way everyone will sleep. 

Good luck it will take a while just don't give up. 

supermomz25
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM

my daughter is the same way too. every night, I make sure that she has all of her favorite stuffed animals, her favorite baby blanket, she has a dream catcher hanging over her bed, I check her closet and under the bed, she has a radio that she can listen to and she has two nightlights. btw, she's almost 11.

Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:37 AM
It's so bad that his door is open and the light is on

Quoting thebailiffs:

Try leaving a low lite light on. Then have night lights in the hallway that lead to the bathroom and your room. Then ask him what else he needs becuase he must sleep in his room. Make sure he is tired before bed. We put music on with a timer. What ever it takes to make the room comfortable. 

Then when he wakes crying comfort him,  but don't allow him to sleep anywhere else. 

It is the same thing we had to do at 2 yrs old. Now our son sleeps in his own bed every night. 

It is really important to train him to sleep in his own room. It is the only way everyone will sleep. 

Good luck it will take a while just don't give up. 

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Get a night light and make him sleep in his room. Just let him cry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)