Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

the talk... updated with how it went

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM
  • 15 Replies
ds wants to know how a baby is put into a mommy's tummy. i have explained to him that moms have eggs and dads have sperm. when the sperm and the egg meet a baby is made. now he wants to know more about it. i want to give him the real facts but dont want to scare him or gross him out. how much is too much for a 6 year old to handle?

eta: the talk went well. i reemined him about the egg and sperm and that satisfied him for now. i also told him if he has anymore questions im happy to answer them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I know there willbe many that say, "go ahead and explain it" but wouldn't go any further than you already have with a 6yo.

I would divert the question for a year or two. Ask him what he knows/thinks and go from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Not sure. My kids are 8 and 9 and have never asked. Of course ds was 3 mos when dd was conceived. He never knew. It was always just part of his life. =)

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM
They say to only answer specific questions with short and to the point answers. Don't overshare.

So far my 7 yr old hasn't asked which surprises me because he is always asking questions about all sorts of things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kcgroves
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Honestly, I had to have the talk with my kids earlier than planned thanks to a great kid at school who told my dd he wanted to have sex with her!! I am talking when she was in kinder!!! My kids both know and neither were grossed out....they were both somewhat shocked to learn that their mom would ever take part in an act like that though lol. Basically though I would try to get around it and ask him what he thinks. Don't take it further then you have to with him.

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM
I find that proper oversharing can be a great tactic. They want to know more about the subject, so flood them with the information you're comfortable with them knowing and their curiousity is less likely to wander to the sketchy areas. I told DS (barely 5 at the time and VERY curious) all about ovaries producing eggs, which travel down the fallopian tube into the uterus where they might be fertilized and implant, how the fertilized egg becomes a zygote-embryo-fetus-baby, and so on. By the end of the explanation he was bored of the topic and probably afraid if he asked how the egg got fertilized I'd start talking too much again :-P That was over a year ago and he still hasn't asked to know any more about it.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

They say to only answer specific questions with short and to the point answers. Don't overshare.

So far my 7 yr old hasn't asked which surprises me because he is always asking questions about all sorts of things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doodles181
by Jennifer on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I would't say much more to a 6 year old.

MamaDearie
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I would highly recommend "It's Not The Stork!" by Robie Harris and then "It's So Amazing!" by Robie Harris within the next year. Here's a link so you can check it out: robieharris.com . Hope it helps.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

lizzig
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM

without knowing your son can't say how much is too much for him.  there are several great books on this topic, geared toward all age levels.  perhaps you can check some of those out.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I think what you told him is fine. I would tell him that is all he need to know for now. I have been having the talk with my son since he could talk also. I tell him what is age appropriate.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

My youngest who's 7 hasn't asked yet.  The other three learned when I was pregnant with him.  And even then because they were 6, 7, 10, we explained it in terms for them. 

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN