Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

1st grader + detention + trying to hide it = Upset Parents

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have 5 kids (4 school aged).  Today was their first day back to school.  Normally every day when the kids get home from school I tell them to empty all the papers out of their back packs and lay them on the table so I can look at them.  Then normally on Fridays I will check to make sure there is nothing left in there. Well their last day of school before Christmas break was the 19th.  I had them do the same thing that evening (put papers on table/checked their bags) before they left w/ my DH on a vacay.  I then put their back packs up so they were out of the way for the holidays.  

Will this morning after the kids were out to school I seen a yellow piece of paper crumpled up next to the trash can.  So I picked it up and looked at it.  It was dated 12-11-12 and it was from the principal.  It said that my 1st grader had been being very disruptive in class and had been wrestling on the lunchroom floor and was going to have to do an after school detention either 12-13-12 or 1-3-13.  I was shocked when I seen this because I personally went through his back pack and that wasn't in there.  So the only thing I can think of is he hide it and threw it away the first chance he could when he thought about it again.  I'm not even sure what to say to him besides he is grounded when he gets home from school.  I haven't had to deal w/ detention yet w/ any of our other kids (Kindergartner, 2nd grader, 5th grader) so I'm not even sure what the punishment would be for that along with him trying to hide it from us.  My DH is just as upset as I am and it at a loss for how to handle it too.

Any advice as to how you would handle it?

*Amber*
*Wife To Brian  12-08-06*
*Mommy To 5 Crazy Rambunctious Silly Kids, 3 bio: 2 additioins*

*Jasmine 09-18-02* *Brianna 06-19-05* *Angelique 10-30-06*
*Keagan 05-18-06*
*Darren 02-26-09*

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
glynch
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I would ask him about it and if he did try to hide it he would be in more trouble for that than getting dentention. And make sure he understood what his punishment would have been if he had just been honest to begin with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

He gets two punishments.  One for acting up at school and getting detention and the second for trying to hide that fact.  I would make it very clear to him that you will not tolerate lying or deceit of any kind.  You also need to talk to him about what is acceptable behavior at school and what will happen the next time he behaves in this manner.

As far as punishments go, what does he enjoy the most?  Take that away from him for a few days for each offense.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I think detention is an odd punishment for a first grader and not very effective... However I would punish for not being told. I would not punish extra of it was a first offense because I think the school needs to punish and kids do make mistakes. But I would clearly state that if yt happens again there will be serious punishments on both counts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hriabywx4
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM
He would have some type of consequence for trying to hide it. But I would also be contacting teacher or principal to see what the policy is on contacting parents when a child is having behavior issues.

I have a firm belief that if my child is in the office I need to be notified that day so that I can reinforce that night :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I agreed because if my son misbehavior I receive a call from the school on the same day the incident happen. 

Quoting hriabywx4:

He would have some type of consequence for trying to hide it. But I would also be contacting teacher or principal to see what the policy is on contacting parents when a child is having behavior issues.

I have a firm belief that if my child is in the office I need to be notified that day so that I can reinforce that night :)

MomOf2LilGirls
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Thank you all for the replies.  We talked to him tonight and we told him that we do NOT do the lying bit.  We explained to him once again how we expect him to act in school and that if he would have told us in the first place he wouldn't be in so much trouble.  

I also am sending a note in with the signed detention slip that he is stating if there are any further issues besides sending home notes that they must either contact me via email or phone because we need to know that day and can't wait till we find the note accidentally 

kenleespice
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM

id be pissed at the school for not calling me on the matter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN