Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i get my daughter into kindergarten early

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 66 Replies
so my daughter was born September27th 2008 and she is smart and is reading and writing and will not make the cut off in our state we live in Oregon . if she waits till fall 2014 when she will make the cut off she will be miserable. does anyone know what the process is to get her into kindergarten early. her preschool teacher thinks she is ready I know she is ready. how do I get her in.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM
9 moms liked this

Contact the school district and see if they have an early-admission procedure.

Also, keep in mind that it's not only a matter of being academically ready, but also emotionally and socially ready.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

What this person said.  Also look into a preschool that teaches 5 year olds as well.  I know in vancouver there is a 5 yr old class for those who did not make cut off or are not emotionally ready for kindergarten.  It isnt all about book smarts though that helps alot.  Maybe a private or other type school would accept earlier.

Quoting wakymom:

Also, keep in mind that it's not only a matter of being academically ready, but also emotionally and socially ready.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM
2 moms liked this

DON'T put her in early! There are age cut-offs for a reason. Look for a challenging preschool/prek program.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Exactly this.  I know for our district, they do psychological testing as well as academic testing to help determine readiness.  It is a fairly long procedure.

Quoting wakymom:

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree with this. She may be ready now, but think 7-8 years down the road. Is she going to be emotionally mature enough to handle junior high/high school a year earlier than everyone else her age? I wouldn't do it. Cut off dates are put into place for a reason. 

Quoting wakymom:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM
This. My dd was admitted early and, while academically she did fine, she was NOT ready socially. Sharing, sitting still, following directions, etc... all skills that a child needs for kinder. Given, my dd was admitted a full year early.

Quoting wakymom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Why not? I am that child (although my birthday is the 28th) I started kindergarten at 4 and always excelled in school. I don't see why so many people are against this, the only thing I ever thought sucked about it was all my friends we're driving a year before I was

Quoting mjande4:

DON'T put her in early! There are age cut-offs for a reason. Look for a challenging preschool/prek program.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Cut off is there for a reason.  There's no way around it here.  They do have transitional kindergarten where they basically do kindergarten for 2 years instead of 1 but that's it.

Thankfully with April and June birthdays I don't have this issue with my kids.  My son is in kindergarten this year and he still would not have been ready to sit and listen in a public school classroom even though he's working at 2nd-3rd grade level.   There's just no place for him in public schools.

If there's a way to get her in her preschool teachers should know about it.

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

My sister started kindergarten when she was 4 yrs old, thrived academically, but was not socially ready for it....but if she went to pre-k, maybe she already had time to adjust to the school environment. You're the mama, you know whats she is and isnt' ready for, but just be sure to not just look at academics.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Kindergarten is NOT the same as when you were in school. There are absolutely NO benefits to starting and A LOT of disadvantages that you will NOT be able to undo. The immaturity catches up eventually and it's NOT pretty when it does. The reason many are against this is because they have SEEN the fallout firsthand, whether its the kid in their child's class who won't follow simple directions or they personally made the mistake and KNOW what the outcome will be.  You can supplement/challenge your child at home. What you CAN'T do is teach them maturity.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Why not? I am that child (although my birthday is the 28th) I started kindergarten at 4 and always excelled in school. I don't see why so many people are against this, the only thing I ever thought sucked about it was all my friends we're driving a year before I was

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)