Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

how do i get my daughter into kindergarten early

Posted by   + Show Post
so my daughter was born September27th 2008 and she is smart and is reading and writing and will not make the cut off in our state we live in Oregon . if she waits till fall 2014 when she will make the cut off she will be miserable. does anyone know what the process is to get her into kindergarten early. her preschool teacher thinks she is ready I know she is ready. how do I get her in.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Replies (41-50):
Proud-mama-05
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I know I'll be having this issue soon with my 3rd ds. Right now our cutoff date is November 1st (was previously Dec 1st) and they're going to keep moving it till it is eventually September 1st. I'm not sure how quickly they'll be making this change but if its 2014 my son will miss the date by 8 DAYS! And our school doesn't offer young 5's anymore and my kids don't qualify for their preschool program and even if he did he could take it next year but by the following year he'll be to old ugh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Kindergaten is intense. Id wait. And if u do put her in early be preprared for her to do 2 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sam12796
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM

contact the schools they will know. I know here they have testing for it. Good luck.

doodles181
by Jennifer on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

You can check with your school district and see if they have testing available for early admission.  If they do not then you can always look into starting her at a private school that does have early admisson testing.  Some charter and/or magnet schools also have early admission and they are free like public schools.  If you are able to get her into a private school and she completes kindergarten with good grades, the public school must put her in 1st grade regardless of her age!

Jennifer

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

If you live in CA, they are moving it one month per year. So for next year it will move to Oct 1st and the following one Sept 1st so I do think that is 2014-2015. Good luck!

Quoting Proud-mama-05:

I know I'll be having this issue soon with my 3rd ds. Right now our cutoff date is November 1st (was previously Dec 1st) and they're going to keep moving it till it is eventually September 1st. I'm not sure how quickly they'll be making this change but if its 2014 my son will miss the date by 8 DAYS! And our school doesn't offer young 5's anymore and my kids don't qualify for their preschool program and even if he did he could take it next year but by the following year he'll be to old ugh

Proud-mama-05
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Nope Michigan but I'm pretty sure my son will miss the deadline. It wouldn't be so bad if the school would offer a program for kids who just miss the deadline but getting into their preschool program at 4 is next to impossible unless you meet a long list of environmental risk factors. I had to send my 2nd son to Head Start just to get him a little bit of "school environment" exposure before kindergarten..which is fine but we had to send him late because we had to wait for the "over income acceptance" because we make to much money for head start guidelines. It's frustrating how the school system works sometimes. I'm sorry my child comes from a stable home and that we're "poor" just not poor enough for him to go to school without a huge headache and struggle before he's allowed to go ugh smh

Quoting momtoBrenna:

If you live in CA, they are moving it one month per year. So for next year it will move to Oct 1st and the following one Sept 1st so I do think that is 2014-2015. Good luck!

Quoting Proud-mama-05:

Marge2624
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

In RI, you have ti be 5 on the first day of school.  However, Kindergarten has become so academic it really is not a bad thing.  I'm not sure if we would have noticed our daughter's struggling as much as she did if she had started a year earlier because it may have been written off as being immature. 

corrinacs
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Hey mama,

its hard to say and depends on the laws in your area.  In VA, the cutoff is Oct 1.  My son is in your boat, he was READY for K this year (he turned 5 Sept. 22).  And he's really doing well too :) :).

But, if you cannot get her into K the traditional way, the only other way would be to find a private school in your area that does not have the same cutoff requirements.  At least in VA, private schools do not necissarily have to abide by those rules (although most do).  If you find one you like, then that should allow himt o start K early.  In VA at least, if a child has completed Kindergarten, they MUST admit them to first grade; ).

Good luck :)

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

If I were you, I would look into a pre-k or Kindergarten Readiness type of class.  My kids school has Kindergarten Readiness for those who are close to ready for actual Kindy but not quite ready either because of age or maturity or whatever.  It's more than pre-school but not quite as intense as Kindergarten.  They are in a classroom right next to the Kindy's and do some stuff with the Kindy's, but in KR there is more flexibility to allow for the slightly younger, less mature individuals.

You said your dd "will be miserable" if she waits until she meets the cut-off.  Can you expand on how you think she will be miserable?

In my older son's class (he is in 2nd grade right now) there seems to be an over-abundance of Sept and Oct b-days.  My son's b-day is Oct. 20th and I think there are at least 5 other students who have a b-day before him.  They all turned 8 within the first two months of 2nd grade.  That means they all turned 6 within the first two months of Kindergarten.  If your dd gets in early, she will likely have classmates turn 6 before she even turns 5.  Down the road, she could have classmates turn 14 while she is still 12 for a week or two.  She'll have classmates turn 18 while she is not quite 17.  She will also be graduating HS and going off to college while she is still 17 - not even a legal adult yet.  I can't tell you what is right or wrong but you need to think about these things before making the decision.  It may seem very right now, but could be very wrong down the road.  Just make sure you've considered it all.

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Put her in preschool if you want her in early. Putting them in early regardless of advancement is proven not to be a good idea. If you can afford true Montessori that would allow her all the freedom for advancement.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN