Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

New to this site!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

I need some advice regarding my son. He is 8 years old and super sensitive. What can I do to help boost his self confidence? He cries at the littliest things and constantly thinks that people are laughing at him or making fun of him. If he can't do something right he has a complete meltdown over what really seems like no big deal, but to him its a huge deal.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Welcome

family in the van   Mom of four

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

welcome to cafemom

janitablue
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Hi Welcome to group.

The most important thing is to focus on his strengths. Help him to understand that he identify and experience world different than any children and use his strength to build his self esteem.  Maybe you can have mother and son time do things that he likes and also encourage him to be open minded on things that he can not but will do.......... Don't force him to change his behavior accomadate today culture .

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I think you need to keep telling him that there is nothing wrong with him. He needs to hear it from his family on a constant basis.

Welcome to the group.

isaacsmom2013
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I do "mommy and son" things with him all the time. I encourage him all the time and tell him that its okay to be sensitive. I am hoping as he gets older he will see his strenghts and grow out of this "phase". I've heard that being super sensitive is linked to being gifted or a genius. My son seems to have  the traits of a gifted chid. Enxtensive voclbulary for his age, makes complex congnitve connections between things,super sensitive,etc.I love my son the way he is,but it breaks my heart sometimes to see him this way. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Point out when you make a mistake or don't get something quite right on the first try so he sees it's ok and happens to everyone.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Welcome!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GUTTADABOSSLADI
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

He may have a disablility, you may want to have him evaluated. My DF was like that as a child and he has gotten better over time, but I still have to inform him people are not talking about him, picking or whatever the case maybe. My DF had 5 siblings I think this is what made him feel this way because he felt non of his siblings tried to teach him anything or bond. I felt sorry for him for years, but I always have to tell him positive things to over come his negative thoughts. He says he has low self-esteem, but he was very popular in school and played all sports. He needs a counselor to talk to. I hope this helped you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)